Intro from Florida

chrispsails

Reaction score
hey, i got into sailing a few years ago and while i never thought i'd want to live in florida, i've heard there's an active diy, salty, punk sailing scene. i'm just not at all connected to it, so i decided to look about online. i'm looking to see where would be a good area to move to where i could live on a boat and find like minded people. i just found this forum and i'm scrolling through and responding to the posts that seem relevant, hoping to get more info or connections
looks like noone responded to your post, but i'm sure by now you've got more info so since we're on a similar path, thought i'd reach out here,
chris p & lou dog

floridaboater

Reaction score
Not a lot more info - still looking.
Liveaboard in FL is touchy subject - the rich folks with waterfront property don't like them, cities don't like them (no property tax to collect), etc.
Might be more information for you on sailing anarchy.com.
Was hoping there would be more kindred spirits here - still hopeful :)

Mike

Reactions: chrispsails

chrispsails

Reaction score
Not a lot more info - still looking.
Liveaboard in FL is touchy subject - the rich folks with waterfront property don't like them, cities don't like them (no property tax to collect), etc.
Might be more information for you on sailing anarchy.com.
Was hoping there would be more kindred spirits here - still hopeful :)

Mike
Ha! If you think it’s tough in Florida you wouldn’t believe how it is in the SF Bay Area. Man, I have some stories. Not only the points you mentioned, but there is such a crazy desperate housing crisis due to the tech boom, gentrification , the crazy increasing gap between rich rich rich and poor, and the “BCDC” which stipulates that no marina is allowed to have more than 10% of boats designated live aboard: live aboard is far beyond a touchy subject. That would be putting it lightly... anyhow, point is, I get and anticipate that. I’m coming, regardless, sneakaboard or not, l figure it out but I want to find the best spot.
Meantime, Thanks for responding!!!

floridaboater

Reaction score
I have heard that about SF and California in general. Same up near Seattle - although there are more places friendly than in CA :)
There are places near Ft Myers, St Petersburg and down in the middle keys (Marathon, Islamorada). Maybe https://www.cruisersforum.com would have more info? A good place to get local input. Good luck, let me know how it goes.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads