Intro for a new(ish) member

• Thread starter Deleted member 29411
  • Start date

trashswag86

Reaction score
This is my stock response:

Get a silcock key. I've got a 4-way one that I turned into a smiley with some rope.

Look into water-filters. I've got a Sawyer Squeeze. They're great, just don't let it get under 32 Fahrenheit or it's trash.

Check out this article on apps for finding drinking sources. I downloaded the Tap app. Haven't tried it yet though.

WATER REFILL APPS: AN INVESTIGATION - Refill Ambassadors - http://refillambassadors.com/refill-apps/

Get a P-38. Get a P-38!

Get a P-38.

Get a decent rain poncho, from army surplus or whatever, that unsnaps into a tarp.

(It doubles as a potty/changing curtain and just general tarp usage. I've got an idea for a sun-shade/bug net I'm gonna build using this thing. For the elements, personally I prefer a Tennier Woodland Bivy, or just a 9x9 tarp. Tents are fucking heavy)

Do a little research on sock options for hiking/long trecks and decide what's best for you.

On the cheap, pantyhose will wick sweat away, and so keep you dry. I like the ones that just come up to the knee, cause they're easier to put on or pull off. They'll also help keep blisters away, cause they'll act as an inner sock.

If you read, consider getting an E-Reader. I got a used Kindle paper-white and filled it up with pirated books from archive.org (they're about to go under from lawsuits) and I'm just *not* gonna connect the thing to net so that Amazon can't steal my stolen books. Check Global Grey books too, which is all public domain and good quality.

Of course, whatever footwear you end up with, you wanna have been wearing em awhile before you head out.

Studies show that reducing 1 lb of weight on your feet is the equivalent of shedding 5-10 lb on your back. (Being that my current goal is hiking/living in wilderness, I'm really curious about hiking sandals, like those made by Xero and Earth Runners. Trecking poles would be a must with these, I'm sure)

In general, try to start with as few things as you can when you start. You can always get that extra thing later, but if you get it now and and then find out its really not worth the weight, well you just waisted resources.

Read backpacking magazines and internet forums. Check out the forums MYOG and Ultralight on Reddit.

Check out this article on weight savings

42 Ultralight Backpacking Tips: How to Shave Pack Weight - https://www.greenbelly.co/pages/ultralight-backpacking-tips

And after you've perused all the sources that are available to you, come back here or other forums and ask more specific questions

D

Deleted member 29411

This is my stock response:

Get a silcock key. I've got a 4-way one that I turned into a smiley with some rope.

Look into water-filters. I've got a Sawyer Squeeze. They're great, just don't let it get under 32 Fahrenheit or it's trash.

Check out this article on apps for finding drinking sources. I downloaded the Tap app. Haven't tried it yet though.

WATER REFILL APPS: AN INVESTIGATION - Refill Ambassadors - http://refillambassadors.com/refill-apps/

Get a P-38. Get a P-38!

Get a P-38.

Get a decent rain poncho, from army surplus or whatever, that unsnaps into a tarp.

(It doubles as a potty/changing curtain and just general tarp usage. I've got an idea for a sun-shade/bug net I'm gonna build using this thing. For the elements, personally I prefer a Tennier Woodland Bivy, or just a 9x9 tarp. Tents are fucking heavy)

Do a little research on sock options for hiking/long trecks and decide what's best for you.

On the cheap, pantyhose will wick sweat away, and so keep you dry. I like the ones that just come up to the knee, cause they're easier to put on or pull off. They'll also help keep blisters away, cause they'll act as an inner sock.

If you read, consider getting an E-Reader. I got a used Kindle paper-white and filled it up with pirated books from archive.org (they're about to go under from lawsuits) and I'm just *not* gonna connect the thing to net so that Amazon can't steal my stolen books. Check Global Grey books too, which is all public domain and good quality.

Of course, whatever footwear you end up with, you wanna have been wearing em awhile before you head out.

Studies show that reducing 1 lb of weight on your feet is the equivalent of shedding 5-10 lb on your back. (Being that my current goal is hiking/living in wilderness, I'm really curious about hiking sandals, like those made by Xero and Earth Runners. Trecking poles would be a must with these, I'm sure)

In general, try to start with as few things as you can when you start. You can always get that extra thing later, but if you get it now and and then find out its really not worth the weight, well you just waisted resources.

Read backpacking magazines and internet forums. Check out the forums MYOG and Ultralight on Reddit.

Check out this article on weight savings

42 Ultralight Backpacking Tips: How to Shave Pack Weight - https://www.greenbelly.co/pages/ultralight-backpacking-tips

And after you've perused all the sources that are available to you, come back here or other forums and ask more specific questions

Thank you dude! this is super helpful.

Reactions: trashswag86

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads