I'm J0ne$, I'm New Here

SeymourSparechange

Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
New to the site. I'm looking for advice on a new state to travel to other than SoCal, any ideas???

Crazy Hobo Johnny

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Welcome Aboard!!!
If you're interested traveling out West: Colorado, Arizona (avoid Phoenix), New Mexico, Utah, Montana, Wyoming, Washington (avoid Seattle from what I'm hearing and reading), I like Eugene, Oregon (hearing too many negatives on Portland), Nevada. The Midwest? Western Wisconsin along the Mississippi River and Minnesota.
Just my chosen spots!
There's plenty of information here on STP to research!
Again, Welcome Aboard to STP!!!

Reactions: SeymourSparechange

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
New to the site. I'm looking for advice on a new state to travel to other than SoCal, any ideas???
Yeah. There's 49 other states to see. ? ? ?
oh...and welcome to STP

SeymourSparechange

Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Welcome Aboard!!!
If you're interested traveling out West: Colorado, Arizona (avoid Phoenix), New Mexico, Utah, Montana, Wyoming, Washington (avoid Seattle from what I'm hearing and reading), I like Eugene, Oregon (hearing too many negatives on Portland), Nevada. The Midwest? Western Wisconsin along the Mississippi River and Minnesota.
Just my chosen spots!
There's plenty of information here on STP to research!
Again, Welcome Aboard to STP!!!
what bad things are you hearing about Portland? That was my first choice :(

Crazy Hobo Johnny

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
what bad things are you hearing about Portland? That was my first choice :(
Just from people but maybe they had a negative experience? I haven't been to Portland in decades the last I visited my half-brother. But I heard from people that said that, maybe they were talking about areas to avoid in the city like any other city that has areas a person should avoid.

SeymourSparechange

Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
I want to go to a place where homelessness isn't "criminalized", i.e., cops hassling us/arresting us over bullshit like panhandling, setting up a tent, public sleeping/camping, or just being too visible. But I think my most important criterion is whether the locals treat homeless people like shit or not.

Reactions: jypzi

WanderingBear

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
First of all, I really dig your user name! I have found Missoula, MT an awesome place in the summer cuz great shelter and resources and so beautiful, plenty places to camp close to town too, but the cops are Nazis and the judiciary system there is def one you dont wanna become a guest of! Flagstaff is my current summer place of choice for all the same reasons except its more liberal and the cops leave you alone as long as youre not being stupid. Plus when it gets cold its a short drive down to the desert for the winter!

• Useful
Reactions: Crazy Hobo Johnny

SeymourSparechange

Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
My first two picks are Portland, OR and anywhere in Colorado. I've heard Colorado has worse laws than Portland when it comes to "criminalization of the homeless", anf that portland has laws that do not make it illegal for the homeless to sleep in public, set up tents, panhandle, etc... but I also wonder... after watching Seattle is Dying and learning about the community's growing hatred/apathy towards the homeless, in part, due to the extremely lax laws regarding the homeless. I fear that anywhere with significantly favorable homeless laws might suggest that the citizens of that place would also be apathetic or hateful towards the homeless.

Conversely, with Colorado, I know the laws are generally the same as anywhere else with regards to their homeless laws, bu the positive side is that weed is 100% legal, community views on the homeless may be more favorable than Portland's, and it would be closer to where I am now in Ohio, and therefore cheaper to finance the Greyhound bus. Do you have any thoughts?

BrutalHeart

Reaction score
Why don't you hitchhike to both? Try each place for a few weeks, and see which one you like better. Portland gives zero fucks. Urban camp in a tent, and cops will just move you along most likely. Be prepared for drug addicts to ask you for spare change, and a cigarette every 30 seconds for the rest of your life. I really liked Colorado.

Reactions: roughdraft

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads