I remember when.. | Squat the Planet

I remember when..

railroadron

Reaction score
I remember when it was BN before BNSF. When BN owned and operated both Low and high line. When Whitefish was a tramp friendly place and you could ride piggy s in the open through Havre. I remember when BN was tolerant of us..when Interbay and Northtown were the only hot yards on the high line. I remember Bob the bull in Vancouver would call trains in for you and the frito lay dumpster across from B yards was always a gold mine. I remember when BN went only as far as Beiber and interchanged there with UP. When Bend was a hobo haven.

I remember when SD 40 's were the road kings and trains still had crummy s. Pushers were added to any trains going over any real grade such as Donner, Tehachipi and Marias pass and the cascades at oak ridge OR. I remember when you could catch SP out of Eugene and go to Coos Bay. I remember when Roseville was a real hobo jungle and you could walk right into the yard in daylight and hop. I remember when Stockton was the farthest north Santa Fe went in CA and SP still had a yard right next to UP at Charter way. I remember when you d still see WP units on UP trains and Portola had the DRY DOCK!. I remember the Barrel yard where up entered SLC by roper yard and SLC was easy to catch out. I remember Roger the SP bull in K falls. I remember SP s Modoc man..K falls to SLC via carlin NV and alturas CA.
I remember when you hollered into camps and waited till invited. i remember when you respected a mans gear whether stashed or not and left it the fuck alone. I remember when there were no KIDS out there ( just young run aways like me...LOL) I remember when tramps pitched in a had cook outs..shit I remember when we always cooked over fire and carried frying pans. I remember when Mc donalds threw out tons of food every few hours and there were no compactors. I remember when we jumped dumpsters and didnt leave messes and we set food we could nt carry for the next hungry tramp. I remember when tramps were kind and friendly and we shared our resources

oh fuck!!!! I remember

RoadFlower33

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Born in 89 started traveling in 04 this is all before my time.

InsolentMolotov

Scantily Clad Lad
Reaction score
The advancement of civilizations and societies have likely always pushed those of us who get by on the fly to somewhere we’ve yet to explore.. even in those old familiar yards only the structures and my memories are somewhat the same.. but it’s what keeps me roaming on forever towards the last place I felt like I was welcome and away from the places I’d been rejected.. then when we pull back into town there are signs that say “no” to everything.. panhandling, dogs, skateboarding.. and all the best old spots are covered with new pavement and restaurants that cater mainly to those we make our living off of.. if we gather all the rubble together and pile it high enough, you can climb to the top and look off into the distance.. that’s where we have to go to get our bearings in the new age.. on top of the fences that we were expected to pick a side from..

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads