I recently left my wife and two kids to live out of my car in South Florida | Squat the Planet

I recently left my wife and two kids to live out of my car in South Florida

nakedanimal

The King of Shit
Reaction score
So, about three weeks ago, I drove my '98 Toyota 4Runner down to Miami, FL from Athens, GA without telling my wife or kids about what I was doing. Changed my phone number too so no one could contact me.

I had planned this for a long time. Always been drawn to living with minimal "stuff."

I loved the ride down. Sang, talked to myself, cried. Listened to Kanye's My Beautiful, Twisted Dark Fantasy over and over again... Fantasized about the freedom I was about to experience. Finally made it to Miami.

I hated Miami because of all of the traffic. And it was hard to find a parking deck where I could pay for a month up front that had a good location, good price and availability. Parking in Miami is tough.

My first night I began to despair, missing my wife and kids. I drove up the interstate until I got so tired that I pulled over to a rest stop and went to sleep. The next morning, I felt a lot better and said, "Fuck it. Why not enjoy South Florida while I'm here."

Went to the beach off the West Palm Beach exit. Parked in the parking deck and drove my bike there. Not really what I wanted to my surprise.

So I went down to the luxury shopping center and just walked around and people-watched. That was more fun. The atmosphere was amazing. The weather great.

Finished the night off with a movie at an IMAX theater. Watched two actually. One was Thor in IMAX and that was fun.

After that, I really just drove around all over that area. LOVE West Palm Beach. Decided I wanted to live there.

Got a UPS mailbox which ended up being a waste of money. Never used it. Wondered, "How will I get my license if I can't prove my address is here?"

Met an older guy at the movie theaters who invited me for a meal at Chilis. Once he decided that I'm not going to kill him, he said I can come stay with him at his place.

His place is nice. He's an ex-trust banker, and he shows it with the way he decorates the house.

He says I can use his address to get my license.

So, I get my car insurance in the county as proof of address as well as use my cell phone bill, and viola, got my license.

Well, it all ended rather suddenly. After only about a week of staying with the guy, I get a text saying DFCS has my kids.

My wife got hit on my uncle who she was staying with. They have a house and a yard, plenty of food and I left her with 3000 dollars. So they were taken care of.

But my wife went to the hospital by herself with the kids and DFCS took them. So, I drove all the way back to Athens, GA and here I am. I miss the experience and I'm going to try to get my family down there with me this time.

Gin

Reaction score
So, about three weeks ago, I drove my '98 Toyota 4Runner down to Miami, FL from Athens, GA without telling my wife or kids about what I was doing. Changed my phone number too so no one could contact me.

I had planned this for a long time. Always been drawn to living with minimal "stuff."

I loved the ride down. Sang, talked to myself, cried. Listened to Kanye's My Beautiful, Twisted Dark Fantasy over and over again... Fantasized about the freedom I was about to experience. Finally made it to Miami.

I hated Miami because of all of the traffic. And it was hard to find a parking deck where I could pay for a month up front that had a good location, good price and availability. Parking in Miami is tough.

My first night I began to despair, missing my wife and kids. I drove up the interstate until I got so tired that I pulled over to a rest stop and went to sleep. The next morning, I felt a lot better and said, "Fuck it. Why not enjoy South Florida while I'm here."

Went to the beach off the West Palm Beach exit. Parked in the parking deck and drove my bike there. Not really what I wanted to my surprise.

So I went down to the luxury shopping center and just walked around and people-watched. That was more fun. The atmosphere was amazing. The weather great.

Finished the night off with a movie at an IMAX theater. Watched two actually. One was Thor in IMAX and that was fun.

After that, I really just drove around all over that area. LOVE West Palm Beach. Decided I wanted to live there.

Got a UPS mailbox which ended up being a waste of money. Never used it. Wondered, "How will I get my license if I can't prove my address is here?"

Met an older guy at the movie theaters who invited me for a meal at Chilis. Once he decided that I'm not going to kill him, he said I can come stay with him at his place.

His place is nice. He's an ex-trust banker, and he shows it with the way he decorates the house.

He says I can use his address to get my license.

So, I get my car insurance in the county as proof of address as well as use my cell phone bill, and viola, got my license.

Well, it all ended rather suddenly. After only about a week of staying with the guy, I get a text saying DFCS has my kids.

My wife got hit on my uncle who she was staying with. They have a house and a yard, plenty of food and I left her with 3000 dollars. So they were taken care of.

But my wife went to the hospital by herself with the kids and DFCS took them. So, I drove all the way back to Athens, GA and here I am. I miss the experience and I'm going to try to get my family down there with me this time.

So why was ex in hosp? Did you get your kids back?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads