I posted here without introducing myself

The Toecutter

The Patron Saint of Filth
Reaction score
Hello. I've lurked on this site a bit before joining, and I'm impressed with the wealth of knowledge and experiences available to peruse on this forum.

I am planning to live off grid, and do some travelling. I'm far from being there yet. I have a job tieing me down and am helping to care for my mother who is disabled. I eventually want to live a lifestyle that has a very low ecological impact, is low in financial expense, and do so in a way that minimizes any data trail generated that can be monetized(I'm especially tired of the latter). Part of the impetus is to be able to not have to labor for an employer any longer, part of it is to obtain a sense of personal freedom by being able to live without being subject to rules imposed by various bureaucracies both government and corporate which I had no say in to begin with.

I designed and built a vehicle that can pass to police as a "bicycle", but is really closer to an electric car. I use it as cheap, ecologically-friendly transportation and have had excellent results. It goes about 100-130 miles per kWh of electricity when cruising at 30-35 mph. I use it for close to 100% of my transportation, and it has enough storage space to carry tools and camping gear. Eventually, I will build a camper trailer that I can tow with this vehicle, and that camper trailer will have solar panels all over it and enough batteries to be able to run a laptop computer, lights, stove burner, mini-fridge, even welding equipment, as well as act as a range extender for the vehicle towing it.

I could also live out of such a camper trailer on a piece of land while building a more permanent shelter. I'd love to get a permaculture system going.

But I don't plan to stop there. I've always wanted to get into bike touring, and this is an idea that I think will work well. It would be an inexpensive way to tour large sections of the U.S., and at speeds more comparable to a car than a bicycle, with a level of comfort more akin to living in an RV than being homeless.

I've been homeless before and have squatted in abandoned buildings, so I know a few things about evading detection and finding safe places to sleep. Having a bicycle camper to sleep in would be comparatively luxurious.

I'll continue browsing the content of this forum. I love reading people's experiences. Especially their lessons learned the hard way, so I don't have to learn them the same way.

Peace.

Reactions: LeDogglez and ali

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads