Howdy from Houston!

Reaction score
I've been here in Houston(inner loop) for a minute, cycling, canoeing, co-op living, dumpster diving, traveling a bit, and am now looking to do some urban exploring of this city in a way I’ve not really done before. I've done a bit of bicycle touring through Latin America and look to do more traveling in the future! I regularly drive between Houston and Austin(sometimes San Marcos) to see family and friends up there so im always down to give anyone a ride to and from ATX! Always down to collaborate!

ali

Reaction score
Welcome. Interested to hear about your bike tours in Latin America (i'm in Colombia right now). Where did you visit?

Reaction score
Thanks! I basically went from Oaxaca, MX down through Central America and over to Colombia, Ecuador, and bussed over to Lima Peru. I’ve also traveled other places by bus or plane around Latin America.

Where exactly are you in Colombia right now?

ali

Reaction score
Just got into the main part of Magdalena Medio, still in Departamento del Cesar at the moment.

Oaxaca to Lima is a long-ass ride! I guess you had to fly around the Darién, did you go straight to a city in the Andes or did you ride up there from the Caribbean coast? That's my current blocker. Right now i'm on a cheap and heavy bike with only 6 gears, so i don't like my chances of getting out of the Magdalena valley on my own steam.

Reaction score
Thanks, it was quite amazing experience! Yeah, we flew from Panama City to Medellín, so no Darien gap or haul up from the valley. Have you tried to just replace your front chainring with something smaller for the climb and then switch back after? Definitely check out Medellin and Manizales in the coffee region when to get up in the Andes!

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
im in ATX, hit me up next time you're in this area and i'll by ya a coffee/beer.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads