• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Down and Out

-Dank- Down and Out press
Banned
Reaction score
Website
downandoutpress.org
Well title says it all really have had horrible experiences hitching around for the last few years. I only seen to get rides from tweakers and drunks if I get them at all(which I don't judge but sucks tbh). Has anyone else had a shit time post covid I mean it was great before rather fast and effective way to get around. I've had multiple day waits now a few times recently on busy roads only trying to go an hour or so. Anyway only thing that has improved is cops don't seem to care as much to hassle you as they did pre COVID-19 anyway. I'm hoping I'm not going crazy right or maybe I need to change up my haircut or wash my clothes or something and it's scaring off your average American or Mexican something. Anyway I made it poll so yeah...

Attachments

• PXL_20230610_183106691.jpg
    PXL_20230610_183106691.jpg
    883.3 KB · Views: 108
  • Agree
Reactions: Coywolf

AestheticTramper

Reaction score
Cannot comment on the US because I only hitched post COVID. In Europe it seems about the same/better than ever, or maybe I just got more experienced.

One obviously point though. How we look does have a big impact on the kind of people who pick up.

When I'm hitchhiking I try to look as normal and harmless as possible and mostly get picked up by normal everyday people, even families sometimes. On the other hand, sometimes I just don't care; look rough, scruffy beard, ostentatious pearcings, thrift store camouflage pants etc.....looking real punkie - fewer people stop and most of them are alternative, or a bit weird or into drugs. Which is fine, but they represent only a small subset of the population. Hence, harder to get rides without toning it down a little. 😂

I guess people pick up those with whom they presume to have things in common, or recognise a part of themselves in (part of the tribe.)

Reactions: Dmac and SaturnSky

timeeeee

Reaction score
My wait times have all seemed short post-covid but I just haven't been hitching enough to know. That said, they've also been short-term adventures so I usually am able to look cleaner hitching than I would at home lol

Sameer

Reaction score
I voted but I think that this has nothing to do with covid. I think it is a case of risk for both parties. A changing consciousness in society in general.

Otter

Stateless Wanderer
Reaction score
It was a bigger issue over the past few years. During that time I found that the people that would stop were pretty cool. At this point. For the most part, people have started to relax again. From what I've seen at least.

I would say that other factors play a bigger roll.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I've only hitched a few times post COVID, as I'm appearently on the 'fuck hitching because.....trains'....well...train.

Bit it seemed abut the same. I did spend 6 hours trying to hitch out of Rice, CA though. That sucked. But I think it would have been that way in that location regardless of the times.

I just try to look as harmless as possible, have my sign very tuned in to where I'm headed, and clear to read, with all my gear visible.

Hitching ain't going nowhere, unless the state tries to fucking outlaw it again, due to a 'public safety' hazard, like they tried to in the 70s. This time around it would have something to bmdue with COVID or a medical reason, tho.

But seriously tho, TRAINS....

Down and Out

Banned
Reaction score
Website
downandoutpress.org
Well I've been stuck the longest I've ever been stuck which is going on five days here in Ohio so in my case at least I'm not sure what to think. And here's why....

I say I'm not sure what to think because someone pulled up gave me five hundred dollars well first they gave me three hundred than came back with another 200 I shit you not I mean i was dumbfounded. No mention of a ride some sausage a breakfast burrito and five hundred dollars I was like this is to much money I don't want it. Anyway they didn't seem to care and insisted that I take it didn't try to guilt trip me or lecture me or tell me not to spend it on drugs, or even try the usual this is for your dogs bull everyone wants to attach to there twenty dollars. I don't panhandle haven't in years.

Anyway that's my two cents still stuck and and now not broke for a few days. Ridiculous kick down.

I'll probably end up giving most of it to the homeless people out here.

Down and Out

Banned
Reaction score
Website
downandoutpress.org
I voted but I think that this has nothing to do with covid. I think it is a case of risk for both parties. A changing consciousness in society in general.

Yeah the political pressure I noticed plays a big role I used to get rides from conservatives pre trump coup now none they won't even approach much anymore. I think all the defamation of California homeless during the eviction moratorium had a serious and negative impact on people's reactions to homeless( and travelling) individuals across all of America. I did get a ride to the Mexican border by a build the wall racist guy who owned land along the border that was back in December.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads