hey what's up, I'm spider, in portland rn | Squat the Planet

hey what's up, I'm spider, in portland rn

spider

Reaction score
Hey, what's up, I'm spider, currently in Portland, OR, in an apartment right now but looking to get out into the world this summer 2023. Just trying to gather some knowledge, prepare my body, figure out what to do with all my shit, get my guitar skills up for busking, all that good stuff, before I head out.

Honestly I just want to get out, explore the world, feel more grounded in the present, and meet some unique people with unique stories. I love hearing people's stories.

Thinking about heading down to Isla Vista area and just chilling at the beach for a while, probably around June, probably hitchhiking. I want to head back up to Portland around August to put on some events I'd been planning, and I guess I'll just figure out what to do from there.

I'm an undergrad student doing online classes but I still have years left until my degree is done, with no plan of what to even do with that degree ("social sciences" it's vague as fuck because I can't make up my mind).

I've never done anything like this before, so extremely open to advice on how not to die, and how to have a good time!

born2raizehell

owen mooney
Reaction score
it says in your bio that youve had covid for a while, I was under the impression that the current treatment for its pretty good. I got the vaccines. maybe you need some better treatment! I know hospitals can really suck if youre on public health or cant afford treatment. in the US its cheaper to die! whats going on with that?

spider

Reaction score
it says in your bio that youve had covid for a while, I was under the impression that the current treatment for its pretty good. I got the vaccines. maybe you need some better treatment! I know hospitals can really suck if youre on public health or cant afford treatment. in the US its cheaper to die! whats going on with that?

Oh yeah nah unfortunately the treatment is not good 🥲🥲🥲 or well, when they say there are good treatments, they mean "decently good at preventing you from dying during the first week or two, but after that, or for preventing general bodily damage, all bets are off". Which is still something I guess. Been hearing though that it's mutating and making even those treatments less effective.

But yea many people are getting told to just take antideppressants or lose weight if they go to the doctor with lingering symptoms. I'm not depressed and happen to be thin, so i'm lucky that I've gotten taken seriously, and they still have mostly been like "we'll run a bunch of expensive tests, and suggest some things you can try at home, and you can go to physical therapy, but it's mostly just resting as much as you can and hope you'll be one of the ones who recover". Some people haven't recovered, since march 2020, so we don't know how long it can last...

Basically, covid can turn into long covid, where it damages a bunch of parts of your body longterm, and they don't have much treatment yet...the main damage for me has been my autonomic nervous system, which controls things like heart rate, breathing, digestion, and temperature regulation, so my heart rate can skyrocket if I stand too long, and blood flow will stop getting to my brain...this makes some people pass out but for me I just seem sort of drunk or like whippets without the euphoria, haha, and my legs go weak and I have to sit. There is no cure known yet for this longterm effect (called POTS), just some daily treatments that are expensive and make it less disabling, although some people do eventually seem to recover, I've heard.

I think it might've fucked my liver, too, still waiting on testing for that. I get shitfaced from half a beer now though, so I guess at least it incentivized me to get sober. Waiting to find out if it has damaged my heart as well. Also messed with my lungs, got an inhaler now at least. But it's all just things to make these things less bad, not make em go away

Some people do recover, so I'm just hoping that it'll get a bit better by summer, or that I could find some way to get out and travel in a way that won't stress my body too much. It's definitely been a wake up call to stop fucking around, and actually do the shit i want to do. I want to live my life (while also being safe enough so that I'll continue to have a life to live).

• Wow
Reactions: Joey Garbanzo

born2raizehell

owen mooney
Reaction score
theres gotta be a cure! damn that sounds rough, I cant believe its fucking you up that badly when youre still in your 20s. Ive heard of the liver thing before, some people get drunk from one beer... man, I dont believe in hospitals either for shit like this where they just let it fucking ruin your life. maybe you should travel to find alternate medicine, would be a legit reason to travel. theres probably communities depending on holistic treatment somewhere in the states if you look around and maybe at retreats, but I dont know because Ive been stuck living around the city all my life and dealing with the shitty hospitals!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads