Hey Everybody, Again.

Boon Man

Reaction score
Hi guys, wanted to introduce myself again since I attempted joining this community a few years ago. I was 19 then, and I'm 21 now, and I've learned a little more. I popped in here and announced like a jackass I was about to hop freight and live abroad, just jump into it head first, and even though I had spent a lot of time preparing and researching, I was ultimately very naive and immature, I hardly understood anything about being independent, or even about myself. The memories of an event that I think shaped me into someone who won't fit quite right into a conventional modern lifestyle were still suppressed in my mind, I didn't know there wasn't really anything wrong with me. I never got on a train, I worked seasonal in national parks a few summers to get out and around, did a little hitchhiking, learned how to live a little bit, and now I'm back here again, again intending to hop freight in the future, but with a couple more years under me. I still intend to ignore the most repeated piece of advice I hear online, hitchhike first and find a mentor, something that draws me to freighthopping is how antisocial it can be, but I've spent the last few years consuming every piece of freight hopping content I can find, there used to be a lot of really good pieces on reddit by PleaseCallMeTall and Huckstah with some good info, there's still a few floating around but nothing very juicy. Is anybody open to having a conversation with me, letting me pick your brain a bit? I know I'm not gonna get spoon fed anything but any glimpse into real experience would help. Stay safe, stay warm.

Reactions: croc

croc

Reaction score
We love a slice of humble pie! Welcome back

If you've read up on whatever's available then go get em, tiger. Mentor is a good idea in an ideal sense but honestly plenty of the ppl that know "how" to ride trains are mad reckless and are gonna show u how to be a shit show anyway so I don't think it's a must. I think a lot of ppl would prob be safer on their own than with a reckless influence who just has technically been on trains. Esp when ur meeting some rando at a hop out named Beer Shits who's been wearing the same piss soaked pants for a year and hits their dog. Safety and discretion is more important than understanding all the ins and outs of operations. I didn't understand how yards really worked at all til I was like 15 trains in. Departure yard whomst???

I'll answer questions about how trains/yards work for u if u message me and if u actually go to a yard with a pack ready to catch out I'll share what info I have or can get for it but u gotta be like actually doing it or I'm not wasting my time. No offense, just wasted a lot of time answering shit for ppl who never actually used the info n I don't do that anymore. (See fig. 19 year old u)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads