Hello, people. (:

fackshat

Reaction score
My name is Ashouraita (yeah, it's a weird name), you could call me Ash. I'm from Chicago, IL, currently living in Glendale, AZ, but just going back and forth for now. I plan on traveling a lot soon and I'm very excited. I've realized that I can't live my life in one place, I always need to be out and about; on the go, seeing new things in this shitty, but beautiful world. I've traveled a lot by plane and Greyhound, but I want to start train-hopping, I have always wanted to, the thought of it definitely excites me. I know it could be dangerous, I've read everything I could find on it, but there are risks in life that I'm willing to take. I want to enjoy my life as much as I could. I want to see new things and meet new people all of the time. I'm supposed to go train-hopping in about March-April of next year, that's when my friend graduates high school and we want to have our first journey together, though having an experienced person with us would make it a whole lot better. Hopefully we'll find an experienced person by then who would want to tag along. And hopefully she won't bail on me, because that would definitely suck. I've been reading so much on this site and I'm so excited. Well, just thought I'd give a little introduction of myself. Hope to get to know a lot of you!

Reactions: Matt Derrick

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Well, for being new to train riding you're pretty well cut in. Like, how you knew to come introduce yourself in a forum before hopping, that's how they're all doin it nowadays.

E

Earth

Love your intro, but I want to state that this is not a shitty world, it's the people who make it shitty.
Have fun in your travels, and always remember to respect nature because without nature, we are nothing.....

TreyEZ

Reaction score
Hey there Shak, how are you doing??
Chicago is an amazing city, but terribly expensive!
especially the train/RTA/metra system.

If you will be two girls travelling, just be careful,
I have heard horror stories of guys taking advantage of
women on the road, not to scare you, just saying be wearry.

If you find someone on the internet, find other people that have
travelled with them, and can vouch for them,
just dont be naive believing everything that you hear.

Two, fresh out of highschool girls will surely bring the pervs/freaks out.

But, anyways, welcome to STP, I'm new too!!

btw, I'm a Lou Malnati's fan... best Chicago pizza imho

slurricane

Reaction score
girl you are cuuuute! 'an experienced person....she wouldn't bail on me', so i'm assuming you're preferring a female veteran, very smart, guys can be total creeps, even in this particular subculture, there have been a handful of known sexual predators riding so just be careful and use your keenest judgement. you seem to have it as best figured out as someone possibly can before even starting out. good luck!

TreyEZ

Reaction score
Even worse Slurricane, its her and her newly graduated female friend...... together alone....
Only a handful of sexual predators? Are you sure you dont work politics for the Obama administration?
Just that it sounds like an understatement like most of his rhetoric

slurricane

Reaction score
oh my god! i'd offer if i felt i'd be of adequate protection, i myself ride alone standing in at 5'2 and 95lbs it's priority enough protecting myself even averting mostly all social activity and most of all, sketchy situations. oh i know it's more than a handful, i just don't know what would be the accurate amount grouping? there is a horde of rapists riding trains and bumming around cities. there are hobo conventions, and large scale group meetups for riders every year throughout the year, i think it's time to set up self defense meetings multiple times a year, in a serious manner, i'm tired of hearing rape and torture stories from girls i run into every now and then it's fucking nerveracking.

fackshat

Reaction score
Acrata4ever - I play some guitar, I'm not amazing, but I'm okay at it and I really enjoy it. I'm also a good singer, I love singing. Earth - I definitely agree, I should have made that a lot more clear. This world is a beautiful place, it's just some people that are shitty, unfortunately. TreyEZ - I know that there are going to be a lot of creeps, but I'm sure we will know experienced people by then to join us. I'm definitely not naive and not going to let just anyone tag along before getting to know them. I know the dangers of something like this are very high. I was also just talking to someone about Lou Malnati's earlier and how no other pizza could compare. :) Lou Malnati's will always be the best to me. Slurricane - I definitely agree on the self defense meetings, it's unfair that girls have to worry about so many things like that. ): And I'm 5'1 and about 86lbs, so I feel you. We're pretty much on the same level! Oh and Engineer Jason Roseville - I will definitely let you know before I begin my journey. :) It would be awesome to have you with us. I hope to meet a lot of people on here, most of you seem so great so far, I'm really excited.

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Awe, I think you took what I said wrong. I was being a dumb ass, it's an ever growing theme with youngsters it seems lately to post in these forums "I'm thinking about riding the rails, any tips kthanksbai" or something similar. So I was being a bit of a smart ass, don't be mad. Really sweet of you to invite me along but I think I'm going to sit this one out.. I worry it won't be what you're expecting, please read more and also DO NOT go just you and your friend. I can't stress that enough, you're gonna need to meet some kids somewhere and befriend them, and they'll need to have some experience riding and preferably have some experience fighting or knowing how to talk their way out of shit real well cause two pretty girls roughly 17 years old on the road in some of the darkest places you've ever seen, it's not safe hun... just plan this better would ya.. we don't wanna hear about you getting hurt.

fackshat

Reaction score
LOL, sorry. I was a bit drunk last night when I decided to respond, otherwise I would have definitely sensed the sarcasm. (x That's not an everyday thing either, my cousin's just getting married tomorrow, haha. I won't like get drunk and go train-hopping, I'd probably die. Just wanting to make that clear, I'm not some irresponsible kid. We're DEFINITELY not going to go alone. My friend has already met some girl that has gone train-hopping before and I'm sure that girl has friends that went along with her, we'll make sure to get to know a lot people to join us before actually doing it. And once again, I understand the dangers.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
welcome to stp! looks like you got a good head on your shoulders, so let me know if you have any questions, or just post your questions on the forum :)

Hobacalypse

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Engineer Jason Roseville- FuckyeahFuckyeah, Dude Now it's like world of fuckin' warcraft on this, Gotta grab a group in 'WorldChat' first before treckin out, damn my first time on the rails was Insanity Me bein'16 and the older fella takin me bein' about 37 and his girl 27 we had 3 half gallons and nothin else to our names except a bag i found that belonged to a transvestite hooker, Jumped up in a unit in the dead of winter drunk as all hell and rode from denver south. Kinda funny this site is how before anyone sets out there they form a group via interwebz, Love the Idea and it works pretty damn well. LFG TrainHoppin

Hobacalypse

Banned
Reaction score
Oh yeah and uhh

Welcome 2 STP
Trains rock so find a friend and hop a freight don't play on the knuckle, don't push any buttons, and take lots of pictures. Lemme' know when you decide to take off, i'll meet ya at the yard.

Asar

Reaction score
Welcome. I'm new to the forum too, kind of. But not new to travel by any means. Like everyone else said, safety is #1. Whether it's with trains, predators (I'm a dude and I've dealt with them, so it's not just girls that need to remain vigilant), etc.

Hobacalypse

Banned
Reaction score
Eh nah as long as you know how to deal with people in a public situation, and can provide for yourself with little to no interactions with.....wierdo's then FUN is #1 I'm a guy not that big so alotta people might be able to kick my ass but i've never really had that many problems with kids, Been Jumped a few times which makes me stay outta alley ways and was stabbed once so knifes freak me out.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads