Hello from the Finger Lakes

Reaction score
Hello from the Finger Lakes Region of NY. Recently decided to quit my job and become a somewhat seasonal farm worker so I have some flexibility to travel. Mostly interested in freight hopping and hitchhiking, and trying to soak up as much information about Upstate New York and Pennsylvania right now for what I hope will be my first trip in a few weeks. The idea is to hitch/hop from the Ithaca area, through Buffalo, to Erie, and land in Pittsburg. Anyway, glad to be here!

Reactions: Matt Derrick

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Well I'm stationary in Rochester so if you need a couch while on route look me up.

Reaction score
Yeah, Ithaca is slim pickings it seems. The NS coal train doesn't seem to have a particularly regular schedule. I would like to get to Buffalo and see an old friend. Was thinking about taking the transit bus out to the county line and hitching North on NY96 up to Geneva then trying to find a ride to Rochester so I can hop out, or even hitching all the way to Buffalo. Definitely would like to catch out there and ride to Erie to see another friend. Then need to get to Pittsburg. I have about a two week window to do this. Hitching I feel confident with solo but would not mind finding an experience partner to hop with.

Tom Polono

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Gang Mills Yard outside of Corning NY or Elmira Yard by the Prison and Binghamtom are all EX Erie Railroad Yards. Intermodal only stops at Binghamtom. All of the local transit buses conect with each other. C-Trans or Chemung County transit runs commuter bus to and from Elmira. They have connections to Owego (NS switch) and Corning NY (cool town)...My fav town up there is Watkens Glen and the waterfront and the campground...cheep booze at the american legion

Reaction score
Watkins Glen is the shit! My wife and I have considered moving there to get out of Ithaca. Do you think I would have better luck forgoing the Northbound portion and hoping out of Gang Mills heading to Pittsburg from there? Then hitch I-79 North to Erie. How is hoping out of Erie to Buffalo?

Edit: Well shit. I have been scoping out the tracks on Google and it looks like none run down to Pittsburg. Is that correct or am I not seeing it?

Tom Polono

Banned
Reaction score
Both the Erie Line aka Southern Tier and the New York Central North Line (Water Level Route) end up in the same place. Watkens Glen has trains from the Salt Plant to Corning. Rochester has more trains and Gang Mills is laid back and has a Wal-Mart. Go to Google maps and click Bicycling for bike trails up there.
Hiking-
http://www.fltconference.org/trail/go-hiking/interactive-map-segmented/
As far as direct rail service to Pittsburgh you would have to keep trnsefering buses along the southern tier or hike along the B&P trail till you get to Machais for the Buffalo and Pittsburgh slow down at the juntion or catch out of buffalo in the B&P yard in Laccawanna NY. Another option would be to ride NS/CP otta Bing till you get to Allentown then another ride to Harrisburgh then another ride to Pittsburgh....But by far the most direct route is CSX Buffalo to Willard OH then another train to New Catsle PA then communter bus to pittsburgh...sure its longer but theres less transfers.......Ithaca has no connecting commuter buses to Rochester but has commuter buses to TC3 Community College which in turn has Commuter buses to Cortland NY Which is in hitching distance to Syracuse whihc is also a CSX yard...better have your freinds come up there weather going to be great this weekend.

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the info! I am trying not to be a complete jackass and be like "tell me exactly what to do" but there is definitely a gap in information. Funny you mentioned commuter buses in Ithaca, thats the job I just quit. Bunch of jackasses. One of my regular runs was out to TC3. We occasionally see crusty kids around here and that is what got my attention and I started looking into hitching/hopping. Just picked up a surplus MARPAT IBLE pack and sleeping bag on the cheap after seeing a couple recommendations for them. I will be traveling with my iPhone too to keep an eye on weather and stay connected to the world. Pretty excited to get out for my first time. Thanks again for the information!

BrownStone NY

Reaction score
Watkins Glen is the shit! My wife and I have considered moving there to get out of Ithaca. Do you think I would have better luck forgoing the Northbound portion and hoping out of Gang Mills heading to Pittsburg from there? Then hitch I-79 North to Erie. How is hoping out of Erie to Buffalo?

Edit: Well shit. I have been scoping out the tracks on Google and it looks like none run down to Pittsburg. Is that correct or am I not seeing it?

I can't really blame you for wanting to get out of Ithaca, it can be cool but it's way too liberal.At times it seems to be the San Francisco of the east.I was denied service and asked to leave a coffee house there for wearing a camouflage jacket.I should have known enough to turn around and leave when I noticed the counter worker was a dude dressed like a bitch.

Tom Polono

Banned
Reaction score
Um....The cops in Ithaca have gone Robocop and have Beefed up. Only town that I know that a cop wearing a nose ring and tatoos wakes you up by picking you against the wall. I expect the police to adhear to some sort of uniform standerd and conduct. After all I am paying taxes at 8% sales tax on every beer. Like being slamed on the hood of a clean police car instead of being draged through the dirt:eek:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads