greyhound to phoenix, almost got run off the road by a semi

will eee um

Roads Scholar
Reaction score
So a little backstory here:

I spent 2 months working & chillin' in Moab with my road dog Harper who I met in SD. We decided to part ways at the beginning of December so he could set off in search of warmer weather and I had to go back to California to visit a friend for the holidays. Anyways, I made it back to CA, spent some time with my friend, and started hitching down the coast towards the LA area so I could head east back to Moab. I spent a few days in Santa Barbara before continuing on to San Bernardino so I could hop out towards Flagstaff, AZ and hitch north towards Utah.

I got on a train at the hopout that looked like it was leaving, but it just backed up into the yard and stayed there the entire night. Well, 10 HOURS later, I found out that a UP train using their trackage rights on BNSF's network had de-railed and that was blocking the Cajon Pass, so no trains could run until they cleared the whole mess up. I managed to hopout the next night and hoped the train would stop or slow down enough in Flagstaff for me to get off, but my double-stack hotshot just kept roaring until stopping in Winslow for a c-c. I decided to continue on to Belen and chill in Santa Fe for a few days.

Now, I am someone who religiously checks weather reports for where I am at/going annnnd....I saw a snowstorm/rain heading for Santa Fe, so I decided to bounce. Got some generous kick-downs over the holidays, so I caught a Greyhound to Phoenix so I could enjoy some warmth for a while. I dozed off for a little after we left Flagstaff and woke up to our bus on I-17 fighting for lane space with a semi-truck. The truck tried to run us off the road, but they only wound up hitting our left-side mirror and fled leaving us in a shitty situation. The driver could not continue with a broken mirror, so we were stuck here in the rain. Someone on the bus had the idea to fix the mirror with some duct tape...it didn't work lol (see pic) and we had to wait for a service truck to make its way up here from Phoenix, mind you the traffic coming towards us was in total gridlock due to the weather and it took over 6 hours of waiting on the side of the road until the whole fiasco could get fixed.

Greyhound - 0/10 Do not Recommend 😆

Attachments

• 20221228_093336.JPG
    20221228_093336.JPG
    383.8 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

Dmac

Reaction score
@will eee um , Moab is an awesome place, I was there last October. Wish I had spent more time in the area. What were you doing while working there?

will eee um

Roads Scholar
Reaction score
yooo harper's mentioned you, he's a homie

sucks u hadta deal with that, ive pretty much heard nothing but bad bout the dirty dog and phoenix both lol.

ugh yea phoenix was a shithole, went there mostly for the weather and caught food poisoning there as well.

haper is fuckin' awesome, already miss having him as a road dog lol

Reactions: Opossum

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads