Greg from Nantes - France | Squat the Planet

Greg from Nantes - France

Grgl

Reaction score
Hello, I'm Greg, a french guy who loves exploration. I usually explore in Paris in the metro and catacombs. I lived 4 years in a squat in Paris before moving to Nantes. Since a few months I have the desire to travel in freight. While waiting for more pleasant temperatures, I study on the subject to prepare myself as well as possible. France has only 9% of freight train transportation but there is still room to travel. I am also looking into Germany which has 30% freight train which gives more possibilities. The possible destinations from Germany etc. In terms of equipment, I try to have light and efficient equipment. I have a waterproof bag to keep my stuff dry in case of bad weather. That's it for a brief but sufficiently explicit description of myself. I don't expect you to make my life easier. Just like I was thinking about urbex, you have to learn by yourself when you are really motivated. After that there are little tips and / or opportunities to meet people. I can also occasionally, if someone is passing through Nantes, help out for a night or two. If there are some of you in France, then why not chat and maybe share a piece of the journey?
Have a nice day!

- Sorry if my English is not good, I use a translator to write.

Reactions: Matt Derrick

Joey Garbanzo

Muscle of the DiPinto Crime Family
Reaction score
I think your English is fine. Welcome!

As far as waterproofing your bag, open up a trashbag inside your pack as a liner then load your gear inside the trashbag. Fold the top over to keep water out then close the pack.

Snott Kennedy

Reaction score
Hello, I'm Greg, a french guy who loves exploration. I usually explore in Paris in the metro and catacombs. I lived 4 years in a squat in Paris before moving to Nantes. Since a few months I have the desire to travel in freight. While waiting for more pleasant temperatures, I study on the subject to prepare myself as well as possible. France has only 9% of freight train transportation but there is still room to travel. I am also looking into Germany which has 30% freight train which gives more possibilities. The possible destinations from Germany etc. In terms of equipment, I try to have light and efficient equipment. I have a waterproof bag to keep my stuff dry in case of bad weather. That's it for a brief but sufficiently explicit description of myself. I don't expect you to make my life easier. Just like I was thinking about urbex, you have to learn by yourself when you are really motivated. After that there are little tips and / or opportunities to meet people. I can also occasionally, if someone is passing through Nantes, help out for a night or two. If there are some of you in France, then why not chat and maybe share a piece of the journey?
Have a nice day!

- Sorry if my English is not good, I use a translator to write.
My impression is that Europe, and western Europe particularly, commits most of its' rail infrastructure to passenger trains. In the grand scheme of things that is great, but if you're trying to ride freight trains it could be tricky. One thing that comes to mind is simply accessing the 'chemin de fer', let alone finding a train to ride. Don't you have trains that go 300 k/h out there? Look out for those! But what do I know? Maybe you have noticed some consistent freight movements out there that you can safely access.
My guess is you would have a better chance in a large container port such as Hamburg. I have heard that rail transport between Europe and China has been picking up--shipping companies call it the New Silk Road (not sure how the war is affecting that). Kazakhstan anyone?
If you are really dying to ride trains and can't make it happen out there hop on a plane over this way! Unlike Europe, North America doesn't give a shit about passenger trains. I have sided-out for freight trains on Amtrak and I have passed passenger trains on freight. Basically, we have some ass-backwards infrastructure but it's great for riding cargo trains. You wouldn't be the first French couch surfer I've put on a train here! Also, if you make it to Montreal you can guaranteed find some Francophone train punks who might show you the ropes.
Bonne chance!

Attachments

• china spain tren ferrocarril ruta europa.jpg
    china spain tren ferrocarril ruta europa.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 117

Grgl

Reaction score
I study a lot about the freight network in France. The spotter are mines of information on the possible routes in France. And on Instagram there are a lot of French spotter who are very explicit about the routes they cross. When I have time I go and see the freight traffic not far from my home to understand the frequency. Because we have the port of Saint-Nazaire which is a departure point for certain freight. There are also quite a few that leave from the north of France to go to the Spanish border. The project for the moment is to try as much as possible on France before going to the north of Germany or yes, indeed from Hamburg there are relatively interesting departures to Austria, Switzerland and Italy.
As far as the Silk Road is concerned, it is still feasible on the European part. To cross borders outside the European Union, I imagine that it becomes more complicated in terms of control. And it is necessary to have the visa of the country outside the EU before starting the crossing of the border. On this road there are countries where you should not joke with the authorities.

Snott Kennedy

Reaction score
Here's my freight depot map already that I was able to make with information from YouTube and Instagram.
I was recommending the Silk Road and North American mainlines because it's much easier to plop down and catch a good ride in places with fast-frequent traffic. But I see you're in it for the hunt! Good on you. It's a fun hobby getting familiar with the trains in your hometown. 99% of the trains in my town are worthless time-goblins but at least I've verified that! One handy tool I use for pinpointing train movements is a hunting camera. I just set it up where other traffic won't trigger it and then I can go through the pictures later and hopefully figure out the schedule. Who knows you might even catch a hobo!
You're right, you wouldn't want to get caught with your pants down behind the Iron Curtain. I wonder about Kazakhstan or Mongolia. Info anyone?
OpenRailwayMap - https://openrailwaymap.org/ This might be useful to see where lines are electrified or if they'll use diesel locomotives

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Do you hitchhike as well? I know the hitchhiking community out there is pretty strong, and some of them like to train hop as well. If you haven't already, you should check out www.hitchwiki.org and the hitchwiki email list:

there's a signal group too, but i'll have to dig up the url for that. anyways, the hitchhiking community would probably be the best way to find others to exchange info with.

Stinkyyy

Reaction score
Hey Greg!
Late reply to this post I know, but I'll be passing through Paris on my way to Germany next week. I'm coming from squatting in UK and don't even know where to begin was hoping you could point me towards any squats or areas worth checking out or anywhere can meet like minded people.
Thanks!
Sofia

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads