Gotta make my intro flashayyy

ballzach

Reaction score
hey guys my name is Zach, I'm 19 years old and pretty much I'm ready to get out of my house that I've been bummin' in for too long and go bummin' out in the world. About a year ago I went on a road trip with some of my best friends and I remember getting this feeling of wholeness when I was out on my own. I felt like I was beating the system, this "image" of what life is meant to be and I never wanted to go back. We went on this hike to the top of a mountain and it was so hard and so fun at the same time, it felt like no matter how ridiculous walking up an incline is it gave me a feeling that no amount of money or inanimate and material objects ever could.

I read into the wild at about that time and I remember being so inspired to head out and discover my own path like he did. It also aided my decision when I heard my fellow classmates in my senior year talk about how the book was "boring" or that he was stupid for going out there and dying for nothing. I remember getting in so many arguments with all the people in my class, and I couldn't say they were wrong, but I soon realized that they really were incapable of understanding exactly WHY it was he left. They were the same kids who loved the jonas brothers and lil wayne, had a twitter, prided themselves on their religions unable to see any other point of view, reading gossip mags and looking up clothing all day, and just went into any mold that felt right to them, and I dont blame them for never trying to look beyond it cuz well thats just the way they are, but those things never felt right with me. I want to go out, challenge myself on my own path and I've been thinking about this for so long that I feel like its the only option I have.

I have a girlfriend who sees it the same way as me and wants to go as well, she was the one who actually brought this up as a legitimate path for us to take together. So pretty much I want my fellow squatters to fill me with essential advice that I'll need to start up, the hard parts of having a companion with you, and also I'd like to find really beautiful places to see, any little bit of info will be greatly appreciated guys, so feel free to reply to this when you can :]

HannahBee

Reaction score
I loved Into the Wild. I didn't think he was stupid at all...he was brave for giving up everything that he ever knew in order to live the way he wanted to and find his own happiness. That is exactly what I wanted to do when I left..I wanted to find my own happiness separate from what had always been impressed upon me as the correct way of life.

Good luck traveling with your girlfriend. I've never traveled alone, I've always been with a boyfriend or a group of friends and I love it that way. I don't really know how a companion you trust (and who isn't a moron) would make traveling harder than by yourself. I guess it means you need twice as much of everything but having a chick with you really helps with getting rides, money, and any other assistance you may need. People generally tend to trust and pity a homeless girl while they may be apprehensive toward a homeless male. This doesn't seem fair because the guys I know are awesome but that is what I've observed.

As for beautiful places, they are everywhere and I've been surprised with where I've found beauty in this country. I'm currently in Evanston, Wyoming and it is gorgeous here up in the mountains (too bad it is really cold...I'd suggest coming in the summer). California has beautiful places all up and down the coast and I'd suggest Ukiah, Santa Barbara and San Diego.

I hope some of this helps =] Safe travels

Sugarmoon

Reaction score
Into the wiLD,, alexanderrr the greatt... kudos ... He to is my hero and alot of people dont understand him because there are to ignorant and well to materalistic... I'm glad you look up to him,, and see the true beauty of his inspiring life story that few really understand.. and i know it may somehow be hard to leave your family but in the end the scarfice you make to find the true meaning of life and happiness,, you'll be even more happier than you once were ... I totally think you should do it,, and be safe. so blessings on your travels..

as far as places to visit i suggest every city everyyy country has its unigue beauty and people, and you live in cali so you should see every side of cali before you leave i mean every part ,, cause wen you leave you might think hey maybe i dnt see enough of california as i wish i did.. then you can venture west.. I always have loved utah, vermont OF COURSE its so beautiful if you love nature vermont is a start,maine canada HAWAII would be the perfect honeymoon for the two of ya,, lol ... :)

ballzach

Reaction score
thanks guys for the support :] you really helped me in making my final decision and I really really I really appreciated it. I've been to San Diego a few times, its a pretty nice place, I'm hoping to head up to Big Bear by Summer so I can go camping, I really hope I meet some of you guys out here, I'm looking for interesting and friendly people to crash with who drink and smoke budddd. It seems with California I've been everywhere, San Francisco, San Diego, I live 30 mins away from LA and Hollywood, Fresno, Sacramento, all over, I wanna go towards Oregon and then start making my way east.

jbilton1

Reaction score
Feeling exactly the same way dude. Good luck with your travels, you should really read Down and out in Paris and London, by George Orwell. It's made me want to live as a bum in Paris. There's another one about trainhopping in the early 50's, but I can't rememeber the name. When I do I'll let you know.
P.S. By the way, Into the Wild is amazing.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads