got the urge to go

gypsy Dave

Reaction score
hello travelers. over the last couple of months all I can think about is hitting the road with no particular destination except maybe south and west. I quit my job with plans to do so with my last paycheck. instead I was convinced by family and friends that I was just deppressed and should stay home and get therapy. so I stayed and drank away all my money and the therapy I got was bull in my opinion . now I feel trapped here in Massachusetts for the winter with no money and I desire more than anything to get the f outa here. I think ill have to wait till spring though because of the cold and ill probably be hitchhiking or train hopping although I have little experiance with hitching and none with train hopping. any advise would be appreciated especially anyone with knowledge about winter traveling and whether I should wait till spring or just go for it now.

West

Squatter Fodder
Reaction score
Winter traveling: bring you a warm sleeping bag (0 degrees Fahrenheit), good boots, and a light backpack with camping gear. Try for 30 pounds. Get South. Make sure 145% waterproof, including your pack and its contents. Bring a small tent or bivy sack or tarp. Not every tent is waterproof - test yours first.

Don't rely on nobody or nothin'. Pick up ALL of your trash. Be respectful and helpful to folks you come across. Respect hitchhiking, train hopping and the image you give with the pack you carry. Be the best hobo you can be. :)

Good luck!! This site is seething with would-be road dogs, if you want to travel with someone else, try making a post in the "road dogs and meet up" section. 9/10 of them will bail on you before you ever meet in my experience, but its a useful resource.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads