Question Getting Vehicle Registration in a different state

Traveler

Reaction score
So I've got a car and it's insured but the registration is out. I really don't want to get it registered in the state that I'm in right now. One, because I'm in Michigan and insurance is fucking ridiculous here and two, I want to leave this state for a long time. I'm planning on going to Texas, which I have plates for but again, out of date reg. What if any are my options besides riding dirty or renting a truck and trailer to get it in-state to take care of the legalities from there?

Any help is greatly appreciated as I'm really fucking stuck right now.

lizZzard

Reaction score
Idk about you but out here on the west coast, at times the wait for the DMV is a few weeks. During that time if your pulled over they can’t really do much.
So if your situation is the same you could plan your DMV appointment with enough time to get there so while your riding dirty you can pull the “I’m working on it see?!”
I drove around here (OR/WA)without any plates for a solid month an nothing happened.
Hope that maybe helps? If not best of luck!

Reactions: ReBBL and Traveler

Traveler

Reaction score
Idk about you but out here on the west coast, at times the wait for the DMV is a few weeks. During that time if your pulled over they can’t really do much.
So if your situation is the same you could plan your DMV appointment with enough time to get there so while your riding dirty you can pull the “I’m working on it see?!”
I drove around here (OR/WA)without any plates for a solid month an nothing happened.
Hope that maybe helps? If not best of luck!
Yeah I was thinking about that, with covid and all seems like everyone is getting good use out of using it as an excuse. Downside is, bare minimum I get a ticket for no reg and have to pay that on top of a 20% penalty when I register for getting a ticket for it. But worst case the fuckers impound my car with my shit in it.

This is life kicking me in the nuts for trying to help family...

Traveler

Reaction score
vermont lets you print out a temporary registration even with an out of state address, give you enough time to figure something out
No shit? Hmmm I might go with that as a last option. Not sure if I should make a new thread for this question but I'll try here first...

When I get to Texas I'm going to be car homeless for a while, how do people handle the address situation in instances like that? I vaguely remember reading something about the USPS can help people set up addresses for things like that but I can't seem to find the source I originally read. I don't know anyone down there that can let me use their address either or else I'd just do that.

CouchPunx

Reaction score

here's the link so you don't get confused. I think it's like twenty bucks?

Are you asking about an address for the temp registration? They're not gonna mail you anything, you just print it out.

For documents and shit i always just find a friend willing to let me use their address.

Traveler

Reaction score

here's the link so you don't get confused. I think it's like twenty bucks?

Are you asking about an address for the temp registration? They're not gonna mail you anything, you just print it out.

For documents and shit i always just find a friend willing to let me use their address.
For the Vermont one I'm not worried about the address, I can finagle something for that. But when I register in Texas I'm going to want something a little more legit. I have experience with the cops down there and I know they'll gladly fuck me given the chance so I'll have to watch it.

Traveler

Reaction score
Ok I did some searching through various internet sources and ultimately it looks like I can't register and insure without at least having a friend's address to use. Even using stuff like escapees mail services I would still need someone to let me use their physical address. Holy fucking bullshit. Wtf do homeless people with cars do?!?

@Matt Derrick Aren't you a rubber tramp? Been out of the loop for a while so maybe I'm wrong.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Even using stuff like escapees mail services I would still need someone to let me use their physical address.
why? who told you that? that just doesn't seem right.

do you not have someone's address you can use? where do you need the address to be? texas? this stuff really isn't that difficult, even if you don't know anyone.

can you get a po box? it's like 30 bucks for 6 months or something like that.

insurance isn't going to mail you anything, its all online now, so im assuming you need somewhere to get your registration sent to. is that correct?

Traveler

Reaction score
why? who told you that? that just doesn't seem right.

do you not have someone's address you can use? where do you need the address to be? texas? this stuff really isn't that difficult, even if you don't know anyone.

can you get a po box? it's like 30 bucks for 6 months or something like that.

insurance isn't going to mail you anything, its all online now, so im assuming you need somewhere to get your registration sent to. is that correct?
This is all stuff that I got off of reddit this morning from /r vandwellers q&a topic.

Scroll down a little and you'll see my posts about reg/insurance.

This will be for Texas, which some people have told me is easy while others have said insurance companies will see the escapees club address and refuse or cancel the policy.

I have nobody that will let me use an address because I don't have any friends or family there.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
while others have said insurance companies will see the escapees club address and refuse or cancel the policy.
if that happens (unlikely) just get a different insurance company. there's dozens and most are just resellers for the big boys; that's what i had to do when progressive dumped my skoolie insurance, i just contacted a reseller (polyseek) and got my insurance through GMAC. But, like I said, them dropping your policy based on an address is very unlikely. Even if they do, you'll still be insured for a certain period that you already paid for (most often the first month).

I have nobody that will let me use an address because I don't have any friends or family there.
DM me and i'll give you an address you can use.

Reactions: Traveler

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads