Freitag 512, any good?

ChocoVonBismarck

Reaction score
It's definitely dumb as a single-purpose backpacking or vagabonding pack, but the trouble is I need a bag that is dual-use. Meaning, I need it to be useful for StP stuff but also inconspicuous and good-looking to European college-kid eyes. The 512 (I know, expensive) is 43L, waterproof, and sturdy without looking technical or aggressive. I previously used just older, random stuff or a very very old non-camouflage surplus pack, but I realized that it looks ridiculous and (consequently) stands out too much. Instead of the desired 'friendly hippie' look, it just looked extraordinarily strange, in a bad way. I think this stems from the fact that I am 1) young and 2) naturally suspicious-looking. Decently-dressed hip college-kid attracts way less attention. I'm thinking of getting it in a non-solid pattern with friendly colors, and then putting a dark-colored rain cover for concealment and non-urban use.

My question is:
1. You are a random person walking around in an urban environment. Does the bag attract your attention? If so, what kind?
2. Is this bag a terrible idea for trainhops?

Product link to get an idea

What I'm really looking for is a bag that can do both the dingy hostel/tent/train and the well-dressed city center/Main Street/ business district. Does a Freitag 512 fit the bill? Do you have any alternative recommendations?

ali

Reaction score
I think this bag would work as a hipster/moneyed tourist disguise, but also it might not be very practical if you also intend to wear it on your back from longer than the walk from the airport baggage claim to the bus stop. It doesn't look like it really has any solid frame so if you are carrying a bunch of shit it is going to kill for long distances. It might be fine for shorter trips when you are carrying less, but then you also have a bunch of other oversize daypacks to choose from that are less gaudy.

I never hopped trains but from what i understand the best practices for packs on trains is a) no dangling straps anywhere and b) no reflective coating or bright colors. This bag risks having one or both, depending how well your imagined rain cover fits.

Imo there are much, much better incognito bags you could be using. First of all, make sure it's matte black, or darker colors. This is for practicality if you are planning to trespass at night, but also because people tend not to notice subdued colors in the city. Don't go with woodland camo or olive drab. It's fine in rural America because you just look like a hunter - might even make you some friends - but in urban areas you will look like a hick or a cosplayer and in many countries you'll stand out even in the countryside. I used to have a green pack and it didn't cause me too many issues, but my current bag is black and definitely feels less like i have a flashing traveler icon floating over my head. Of course since switching my primary mode of travel to bicycle i also downsized to a daypack plus duffel, which is less conspicuous than a full-size pack anyway.

I recommend going somewhere with a lot of people walking around like a hotel district or major train station and just sit down and look at what average people are carrying once their bag is bigger than a Jansport. You will notice almost everybody just push a suitcase with wheels, so you will already stand out with a backpack. Then you will see the second most common thing is a traditional, brightly-colored backpack with random shit hanging off it like all the usual gap year types wear. Both these things will get you targeted by scammers and crooks when you are traveling in other countries, but also you won't stand out to the cops or locals as anything more than an ordinary tourist. After that you might notice local people going to work, taking shit to the market, and so on. Usually this will be with something very practical that you can strap onto a bicycle, scooter or motorcycle. Might be more like a duffel or gym bag. Oversize daypack, but usually cheap and crappy, like the kind you get at import markets. I guess these guys wear it till it breaks, then buy a new one.

The unicorn pack is something that looks like a cheap and crappy import market daypack, but actually is high quality and has more space. The TARDIS of backpacks. It doesn't exist, but you can get close. This one you linked, imo, is not close.

laughingman

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
On that same note does anyone have experience with expanding bags that pintrest travel types use for one bag travel? Ive been looking at the taskin new flyt. As a 50 dollar bag option. But honestly I hate spending money on anything ever.

Down and Out

-Dank- Down and Out press
Banned
Reaction score
Website
downandoutpress.org
I'm not sure how I ended up here but instead of a complicated multi clip system where you can attach more packs etc. why not just get a tiny collapsible pack never had a problem using one of thesetiny ass packable backpack anyways i usually carry something like that in the big ass pack

• Agree
Reactions: Trudvar and ali

ali

Reaction score
I had an expandable pack once and never really used that feature. I think if you're traveling full-time you're just going to leave it one size (usually expanded). Expandability is more useful for tourists who are going on vacation somewhere and buying a bunch of stuff to bring back home. But if you don't have a home to get back to, then you aren't going to buy any more stuff than you started out with.

I vote +1 on the idea of having a drawstring bag rolled up somewhere in your pack so you can unroll it into a small daypack. Canvas totes are also pretty good. I was talking earlier in the thread about switching to a small backpack plus a duffel - the entire duffel i had could fold back inside its own side pocket, which was useful when i was on a bike, because on bike i could fold up the duffel and chuck it in the panniers, then when switching to walking i could roll up the panniers and stick them in the duffel.

ouchithurts

Reaction score
I think this bag would work as a hipster/moneyed tourist disguise, but also it might not be very practical if you also intend to wear it on your back from longer than the walk from the airport baggage claim to the bus stop. It doesn't look like it really has any solid frame so if you are carrying a bunch of shit it is going to kill for long distances. It might be fine for shorter trips when you are carrying less, but then you also have a bunch of other oversize daypacks to choose from that are less gaudy.

I never hopped trains but from what i understand the best practices for packs on trains is a) no dangling straps anywhere and b) no reflective coating or bright colors. This bag risks having one or both, depending how well your imagined rain cover fits.

Imo there are much, much better incognito bags you could be using. First of all, make sure it's matte black, or darker colors. This is for practicality if you are planning to trespass at night, but also because people tend not to notice subdued colors in the city. Don't go with woodland camo or olive drab. It's fine in rural America because you just look like a hunter - might even make you some friends - but in urban areas you will look like a hick or a cosplayer and in many countries you'll stand out even in the countryside. I used to have a green pack and it didn't cause me too many issues, but my current bag is black and definitely feels less like i have a flashing traveler icon floating over my head. Of course since switching my primary mode of travel to bicycle i also downsized to a daypack plus duffel, which is less conspicuous than a full-size pack anyway.

I recommend going somewhere with a lot of people walking around like a hotel district or major train station and just sit down and look at what average people are carrying once their bag is bigger than a Jansport. You will notice almost everybody just push a suitcase with wheels, so you will already stand out with a backpack. Then you will see the second most common thing is a traditional, brightly-colored backpack with random shit hanging off it like all the usual gap year types wear. Both these things will get you targeted by scammers and crooks when you are traveling in other countries, but also you won't stand out to the cops or locals as anything more than an ordinary tourist. After that you might notice local people going to work, taking shit to the market, and so on. Usually this will be with something very practical that you can strap onto a bicycle, scooter or motorcycle. Might be more like a duffel or gym bag. Oversize daypack, but usually cheap and crappy, like the kind you get at import markets. I guess these guys wear it till it breaks, then buy a new one.

The unicorn pack is something that looks like a cheap and crappy import market daypack, but actually is high quality and has more space. The TARDIS of backpacks. It doesn't exist, but you can get close. This one you linked, imo, is not close.

just adding on about trains since this is good advice: no brains on your bag but frames can be good. nice to have places for carabiners so you can clip your bag while sleeping but straps are annoying

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads