First time traveler

Contraceptron

Reaction score
Hey there, my name's Steve. I'm from lower New York and have just quit my mindnumbing full time job at a grocery store to travel with my friend across the country on our bikes with backpacks and tents. This is something I've dreamed of doing for a few years now, and since we're only a week away from leaving I'm a bit nervous (albeit excited as hell). I've got a bunch of money saved up, but I have no desire to spend frivolously, so I've been looking around online for testaments from people who've been operating under similar circumstances. So anyway, nice to stumble upon this place and meet you guys :)

janktoaster

Reaction score
Hey man! Bike trips are rad, I've always wanted to ride from Seattle to SoCal. Where are you headed? What's your route? Luckily it's finally warming up. I'd recommend side racks for the bike, definitely.

Charlie

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Rad! I hitchhiked with a folding bicycle one time. Always talk with bicyclists everywhere you go, they can set you on the right track for bike trails and let you know where to go and not go. If you ever hitchhike, you'll have to narrow down your rides to trucks or SUVs that have enough space or cars with bike racks. Food banks are awesome for getting free food water's easy to come by. Recently, I was showed a wood burning, cell phone charging, camp stove that creates very little smoke. Food for thought.

This sounds like an awesome trip! Janktoaster has a point about the saddle bags. You'll find all sorts of cool stuff and acquire tools for shelter making and survival. With a bike, you can pack more stuff, especially if it's a touring bike rather than a mountain bike. I've also seen people pack stuff on the handle bars and on the frame.

When you're out there, if you start thinking what the hell you're doing and think about going home, don't do it. That's what started going through my head on my bicycle trip after a few days. I stuck with it, and the trip got way better the very next day. Then the trip got better and better. It can be a very worth while experience, even if it's not much fun. Having the stories alone are worth the experience.

Chances are, you could find a better job than grocery store, while you're travelling.

Bon Voyage.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads