First Contact with the Police | Squat the Planet

First Contact with the Police

Russetfur1128

Reaction score
Neighbors called the police today. They tried to act all scary and didn't even know that squatters rights existed in FL. Tried to tell me that adverse possession wasn't a real thing, despite a 2 second Google search proving them wrong. Then they tried to tell me that staying here was technically grand theft and that I better get out or trouble would be coming.
Then....they completely slipped up in their scare tactics and let slip that the only way I would be forced to leave is if the owner wanted to press charges.
Considering that the owner is dead and without a will or heirs, the property was going to go to county through either probate or missed taxes, I don't think I'll be forced to leave any time soon. Either way, it would have ended in the same place. Now it actually is in use and a home again.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
That's good to hear, nice job standing your ground. It probably bought you a few months at least, but you might get luck with the deceased status of the owner and be able to stretch that out much longer. Keep us updated!

Reactions: DDDDDuane

Gin

Reaction score
Neighbors called the police today. They tried to act all scary and didn't even know that squatters rights existed in FL. Tried to tell me that adverse possession wasn't a real thing, despite a 2 second Google search proving them wrong. Then they tried to tell me that staying here was technically grand theft and that I better get out or trouble would be coming.
Then....they completely slipped up in their scare tactics and let slip that the only way I would be forced to leave is if the owner wanted to press charges.
Considering that the owner is dead and without a will or heirs, the property was going to go to county through either probate or missed taxes, I don't think I'll be forced to leave any time soon. Either way, it would have ended in the same place. Now it actually is in use and a home again.
If you seriously want to keep it, make sure you pay the taxes. Don't slip there. It's your in

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads