First bikepacking trip a success

GreenHands

Reaction score
My first bikepacking trip was this week. My childhood buddy and bicycle oracle Moss and I leisurely biked from Petaluma out to Pt Reyes Station. When we got there, we felt ahead a schedule, so we grabbed some drinks, rolled a j, and layed out in the garden under the apple trees in Toby's parking lot for a few hours. We then biked onto a dirt trail, where we went up about 5 miles and found our campsite. Next morning we finished the dirt trail and got back onto asphalt, heading up the 6 sisters, taking us finally up to East Peak on Mt Tamalpias. After an hour of looking around on top, we took a 1 hour downhill dirt fire road all the way to Phoenix Lake in Ross, then biked on roads through san rafael and back to the smart train station at the Civic Center. Overall, 2 days, 60 miles (20 on dirt trails), 4700' elevation gain and 4700' elevation loss, all on my 1992 no suspension Hard Rock. Good times, will be doing another trip again soon.
IMG_9297.jpg

IMG_9344.jpg
IMG_9365.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9279.jpg
    IMG_9279.jpg
    967.2 KB · Views: 750

MetalBryan

Reaction score
Awesome! Going as a pair I'm sure made it easier.

Can I ask about the weather? Maybe it's not as hot as it is in central Cali. If it was hot, how did you get along? I'm afraid I have to wait until cooler weather for my first local adventure. I was thinking about hitching a ride to the coast and biking up to Big Sur.

If there wasn't something missing from the photo, why didn't the Specilized bike take advantage of a trunk bag? I ask because I'm working on the finishing touches to my gear selection. Since I'm larger rider I have to skip the traditional bikepacking seat post rig so there;s a rear rack & trunk bag. Not sure about panniers because my bike is heavy and I'm not aerodynamic.

Reactions: GreenHands

GreenHands

Reaction score
Awesome! Going as a pair I'm sure made it easier.

Can I ask about the weather? Maybe it's not as hot as it is in central Cali. If it was hot, how did you get along? I'm afraid I have to wait until cooler weather for my first local adventure. I was thinking about hitching a ride to the coast and biking up to Big Sur.

If there wasn't something missing from the photo, why didn't the Specilized bike take advantage of a trunk bag? I ask because I'm working on the finishing touches to my gear selection. Since I'm larger rider I have to skip the traditional bikepacking seat post rig so there;s a rear rack & trunk bag. Not sure about panniers because my bike is heavy and I'm not aerodynamic.
Yes, Mossy is my childhood friend (we met first day of high school 2003), bike mechanic, and general adventure buddy, nice to go with him. Helps with splitting the kitchen supplies, first aid, and bike tools in shared weight and volume.

Sure, feel free to ask anything. The weather in west marin is unique where its fairly mild year round, we experienced days (noon to 4pm) about 82 and at night down to 52. Quite often, you can get foggy weather most of the day in June, July and August. Pt Reyes national park has so much to offer and is a cyclists or campers dream. We have seen elk, whales, deer, coyotes, hawks, bald eagles, and every thing else common you can imagine. So much wildlife every time. Also (little known secret) Pt Reyes is one of the only legal mushroom hunting parks in nor cal, hosting some incredible variety edible (and likely medicinal) mushrooms, sometimes year round from the fog most days of the summer.

I know Big Sur can get warm, I've backpacked down there a few times. Fall and Spring are obviously ideally the best months, but if you plan a summer trip (coastal at least), you might be able to get away with Farmers Hours, which is start as absolutely early as you can (headlights are welcomed). Bike until 11am or till its too hot, find shade and nap, cold drink, eat, relax. Then get a good 4 to 9pm mission in before downing some freeze dried gourmet with yer long spoon and diving into a bush for some shuteye.

My Hard Rock bike is the way it is because the entire bike has been found, salvaged parts, or from Mossy's boxes of extra parts. The bike was free and we did a major tune up/upgrade on it to get it the way it is now. I didn't do a trunk bag because the panniers held everything I needed. Only thing I've purchased bag wise is the handlebar bag, which I like a lot but its very expensive, limited on space, and is not quickly accessible, which would be nice for larger snacks. The stem bag (climbers chalk bag) is the absolute best idea ever!!! I want to get a second. My phone, snacks, stickers all lived in the dash sack.

I think trends in gear are just that, and a true rider can ride with any bag setup. Sounds like you have the right idea for you situation and needs. Mossy for example, rides literally every single day since we met, and he can blow passed a 10k dollar spandex warrior wearing his dickies and flannel button up. Quite a boss. I like the rear rack idea a lot , its solid and wont flex. You can also add onto it with lights or more bags. Panniers are nice cause they hold a ton of cargo and keep the weight low on the bike (which is the ultimate goal) but they increase your bikes overall width. I think a rear trunk bag and also a rack on the front with a medium bag is the way to go. Internal frame bags sound cool but then you cant put your bike on your shoulder (which we did multiple times to go over fences). Don't feel the need to keep up with trends. Craigslist or a local bicycle recyclery shop are your absolute best friend. Re-use as much as you can. Vintage is cool, recycling is cool.

Last edited:
Reactions: MetalBryan

MetalBryan

Reaction score
I've given up on a frame bag and I can get Blackburn stuff for pretty close to cost. There's no point in them unless you find a perfect fit or have one custom made. I've got a low profile but oversized waterbottle cage from Blackburn that could hold a stuff sack (but now holds my 48oz Nalagene filtered bottle) plus a little triangle corner bag for first aid. There's a lot of wasted space in my frame but that's the way it goes. I cut the three large pouches off an old ALICE pack and bought some Voile straps for strapping to the seat post and when I get a couple more oversized cages for the fork. I've been eyeing a camelback pack for water and clothes, but really want to avoid wearing any gear. It could be easily strapped to the molle webbing on my trunk bag if I get sick of it though.

So cool thanks for sharing. I hope I get to go, even if it's just a little ways. I've got a friend in San Jose who just started e-biking maybe I can get them to do that trip north of the city. Might be a bad fit since I'm pedal power but who knows.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads