feelin like I'm getting a late start

Reaction score
anyone else feel like they discovered this lifestyle a bit late? I'm going trainhopping soon (with a very experienced partner) and I'm so excited! I just wish I had known about vagabonding as an alternative to the grind when I was young enough to be a crusty kid - feel like I'll be a weird mix of older (late 20s) and a newbie out there. oh well, gotta start sometime!

Reactions: NamelessExistence

Raleslicr

Reaction score
The life calls your name no matter how old you are, or who you are. The idea that you have to be apart of any group in order ride trains or hitchhike is absurd.

I been grinding since I could walk, and fell into the 9-5 as an almost natural-what else is there to do-way. But deep deep deep inside me, I can't even describe it, like beyond anything learned, the life has always called me. I was 23 when I hit the road. Bcuz I was sick of normies life, it's too fucking easy. David graeber describes it well. All you gotta do is show up and you are a good employee lol. The challenge and reality of the road is the realest thing I've ever exposed myself to.

I grew up in the suburbs , and while we weren't rich, it's not like I was every starving or felt unsafe at home or at school. My parents are still in my life and I fell flat the fuck on my face with nobody except them to fall back on and they were literally the only thing preventing me from being homeless, and I am so appreciative for them, but also proud of myself for taking a risk like that.

Sometimes I feel like I'm capping bcuz some of these kids don't have what I have or the resources I have access to. But I don't call mommy when I'm stranded in bum fuck, you throw your thumb and ration your shit. I'm not a hardcore traveler either, I work seasonals and use that mode of transportation bcuz fuck the game, yet I still appreciate some of the beautys of industrialization, and to all the anarchist drinking 40's and eating pizza out the garbage, they wouldn't have a pizza or drank without industrial society, whether they pay for the shit or not. Travel isn't about fucking your life and body up bcuz that's the essence of punk. And everyone's got their own definition. To me, it's about seeing the world as it is, and seeing the world, experiencing the most that I can possibly experience before I kick rocks

The Toecutter

The Patron Saint of Filth
Reaction score
Currently a 9-5er(more like a 7-7er) dreaming of one day travelling around for next to nothing. Just saving up for a base of operations to keep all of my hard earned shit, before eventually hitting the road on a custom built vehicle that can move like a car but legally pass as a "bicycle" to law enforcement. Train hopping is definitely a bucket list item, but I currently have no pressing need to do it, and currently won't given the risks entailed. If a legitimate need ever arose, I'd certainly give train hopping a try.

My childhood was mixed, varying from working poor to very brief periods of being lower middle class. I spent a large portion of it living in the hood. I discovered anarchism at a young age, printing out the Jolly Roger and Anarchist Cookbook from my grandmother's dot matrix printer and a floppy drive when my age was in the single digits, but never really lived the life so to speak. I studied well in school and earned scholarships for college, still wasn't able to avoid student loan debt, spent my 20s still living in the hood to pay it all back off once I found a "good" job instead of getting out of the hood(but a different hood multiple states away where I found the job), and today have gotten myself a lower-middle-class income minus any debt. I still live like I'm poor, still live in my parents' basement in the hood, and just stack everything, so that one day I will no longer need to work for money in order to meet my needs and won't need to constantly rely upon the good will of others as so many living on the road must do. I want to be self sufficient as much as possible, and then just disappear from "society" while helping out anyone I can along the way.

I've been homeless before, but not due to lack of money. I've refused to get government-issued identification after biometrics became incorporated into the issuance process, and for a period, it was impossible to get someone to take my money in exchange for rent, cash in hand. They wanted to do all of this background check, credit check BS, one of the potential landlords even wanted to digitally fingerprint me with a handheld device(I told them to fuck off), and I basically didn't exist to some of these systems and/or had nothing but my name in others. So I camped out in bandos, with a five-figure amount of savings in the bank, using my workplace shower located in the gym in the mornings to keep clean, until two formerly homeless friends that I had helped out got into a place and offered to me a chance to split the rent with them. We stayed together for years and I kept stacking my money, until an ailing parent prompted me to move back home.

I also used to dumpster dive for food. I hate wasting food when so many people are doing without. But where I am at, that is getting harder to do, and today I buy almost 100% of my food(especially given my limited time availability at the moment). I'd like the land to try to grow/raise my own food, but I'm not there yet and don't want any debt. A permaculture system set up would be ideal.

I'm approaching 40, and I don't think it will be ever too late to live on the road, at least regarding chronological age. The key to making this viable is keeping my health in good condition. I've taken good enough care of myself that I still pass as a late teen or early 20-something to complete strangers, so I shouldn't have any problem blending in with any younger gutterpunk crowds I may encounter. People are completely clueless that I'm almost an old man. An obvious advantage is that younger ladies won't know any better either.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads