News & Blogs Facebook users were unwittingly part of a massive psychology experiment.

East

Reaction score
http://www.scilogs.com/next_regeneration/how-does-your-facebook-news-feed-affect-you/

Facebook users now get to be used as lab rats, because the privacy policy allows for that kind of thing. I left Facebook roughly a year ago, no plans to return.

-------------------

Researchers at Facebook, Inc., the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) and Cornell University teamed up to study whether manipulating the News Feeds of Facebook users would affect the emotional content of the users' status updates or postings. They recently published their findings in the PNAS paper "Experimental evidence of massive-scale emotional contagion through social networks" and suggest that they have found evidence of an "emotional contagion", i.e. the idea that emotions can spread via Facebook.

Facebook The size of the study is quite impressive: The researchers analyzed the postings of 689,003 Facebook users (randomly selected based on their user ID) during the week of January 11-18, 2012! This probably makes it the largest study of its kind in which social media feeds of individual users were manipulated. Other large-scale social media research studies have relied on observing correlations but have not used actual interventions on such a massive scale. The users' postings (over three million of them) were directly analyzed by a software which evaluated the emotional content of each posting.

The researchers did not see the actual postings of the Facebook users, which is why they felt that their research was covered by Facebook’s Data Use Policy and did not require individual informed consent. This means that the individual Facebook users were probably unaware of the fact that their News Feeds were manipulated and that their postings were being analyzed for emotional content. The researchers selectively removed items with either "positive" or "negative" emotional content from the News Feeds of individual users. The emotional content of News Feed items was categorized using the LIWC software, which defines words such as "ugly" or "hurt" as negative and "nice" or ""sweet" as positive. Each emotional post had a 10%-90% chance (assigned based on their User ID) of being removed from the News Feed. Since removal of News Feed items could have a non-specific, general effect on users being exposed to lesser updates, the researchers also ensured that they studied control groups in whom the same number of News Feed items were randomly removed, independent of their emotional content.

Importantly, 22.4% of posts contained "negative" words, whereas 46.8% of posts contained "positive" words, suggesting that there is roughly a 2:1 ratio of "positive" to "negative" posts on Facebook. This bias towards positivity is compatible with prior research which has shown that sharing of "negative" emotions via Facebook is not always welcome. The difference in total number of "positive" and "negative" posts forced the researchers to use two distinct control groups. For example, users for whom 20% of News Feed posts containing "positive" content were removed required a control group in which 20% of 46.8% (i.e., 9.36%) of News Feed items were randomly removed (regardless of the emotional content). On the other hand, users for whom 20% of News Feed items containing "negative" content were removed had to be matched with control groups in which 20% of 22.4% (i.e., 4.48%) of posts were randomly removed. The researchers only manipulated the News Feeds but did not remove any posts from the timeline or "wall" of any Facebook user.

The tweaking of the users' News Feeds had a statistically significant impact on what the users posted. Removing "positive" items from the News Feed decreased the "positive" word usage in the users' own postings from roughly 5.25% to 5.1%. Similarly, removal of "negative" News Feed items resulted in a reduction of "negative" word usage in the posts of the negativity-deprived users.The overall effects were statistically significant but still minuscule (changes of merely 0.05% to 0.15% in the various groups). However, one has to bear in mind that the interventions were also rather subtle: Some of the positivity- or negativity-deprived subjects only had 10% of their positive News Feed items removed. Perhaps the results would have been more impressive if the researchers had focused on severe deprivation of "positivity" or "negativity" (i.e. 90% or even 100% removal of "negative"/"positive" items).

The study shows that emotions expressed by others on Facebook can indeed influence our own emotions. However, in light of the small effect size, it is probably premature to call the observed effect a "massive-scale emotional contagion", as the title of the PNAS paper claims. The study also raises important questions about the ethics of conducting such large-scale analysis of postings without informing individual users and obtaining their individual consent. The fact that the researchers relied on the general Facebook Data Use Policy as sufficient permission to conduct this research (manipulating News Feeds and analyzing emotional content) should serve as a reminder that when we sign up for "free" accounts with Facebook or other social media platforms, we give corporate social media providers access to highly personal data.

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
Nice, the systems still slowly working on keeping us under their thumb. I cant wait till I don't have to think any more...

• Sad
Reactions: lone wolf

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
what worries me most about this is that this 'manipulating' of facebook feeds seems like a dry run for government control of information. i mean, if a research firm can do it, why can't the government? seems like it would be a pretty advantageous weapon to have, the ability to control how the populace feels through social media...

Reactions: East

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
oh yeah, and fuck facebook. i wish everyone would get off that shit. seriously. what's fucked up is i tell my friends about this shit and like 90% still use the shit and don't care that they're being used/spied on.

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
what worries me most about this is that this 'manipulating' of facebook feeds seems like a dry run for government control of information. i mean, if a research firm can do it, why can't the government? seems like it would be a pretty advantageous weapon to have, the ability to control how the populace feels through social media...

Man I don't think they ever stopped. Since day 0 when people started exercising power over people, its been a non stop game of keeping ahead of the masses.

K

Kim Chee

oh yeah, and fuck facebook. i wish everyone would get off that shit. seriously. what's fucked up is i tell my friends about this shit and like 90% still use the shit and don't care that they're being used/spied on.

I can see FB high on the list of sources for a detective/researcher simply due to the overwhelming volume of accessible data. I can see this website being a source of data as well. Are you saying there are privacy guarantees here that a person wouldn't get on FB?

I google shit:
I get FB and STP results.

drewski

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score

This is a really eye-opening documentary that relates to this discussion. I highly recommend it if you have an hour to spare.

Reactions: East

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I can see FB high on the list of sources for a detective/researcher simply due to the overwhelming volume of accessible data. I can see this website being a source of data as well. Are you saying there are privacy guarantees here that a person wouldn't get on FB?

uh... yeah. a lot.

1) i'm not selling your information
2) i'm not keeping your information after you close your account
3) i'm not creating "shadow profiles" on people you know that don't have an account on stp (google it)
4) no advertising
5) no tracking cookies
6) potentially sensitive categories not indexed by search engines as outlined here: https://squattheplanet.com/help/can-google-see-everything-i-post.16/
7) etc, etc, etc

so yeah. i would say there's a TON of differences and privacy guarantees here that you don't get on facebook.

East

Reaction score
Yeah I get that a lot , I think the most annoying part about it is the people who use the internet the least will often only be associated and familiar with Facebook as their only social networking tool or point of contact online so essentially leaving it may mean leaving people behind who are unwilling to try out another service, especially if they're hard to get in contact with regularly otherwise.

With that said I'm happy to get away from it, regardless. It's completely worth it personally.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
uhhhh. I am really an ass. I still have fb, even going through all their remodeling and having to redo my security issues, etc etc etc - but unfortunately I have several (like lots) of friends and people I graduated with etc who are members of fb. :( I really want out of the system and I, again, want to pull the plug but I rather enjoy re-communicating again with some old friends. Sigh.

TheWindAndRain

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
uh... yeah. a lot.

1) i'm not selling your information
2) i'm not keeping your information after you close your account
3) i'm not creating "shadow profiles" on people you know that don't have an account on stp (google it)
4) no advertising
5) no tracking cookies
6) potentially sensitive categories not indexed by search engines as outlined here: https://squattheplanet.com/help/can-google-see-everything-i-post.16/
7) etc, etc, etc

so yeah. i would say there's a TON of differences and privacy guarantees here that you don't get on facebook.
good looking out man, thanks :D

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads