Question Experience with Pirogues?

Darth Musturd

Reaction score
Does anyone here have any experience with a pirogue? I'd like to try and navigate the Leaf River down to the Gulf from Hattiesburg sometime soon. I'd originally wanted to use a John boat, but I've heard those aren't as stable as you'd think. My only concern is a kayak flipping over and all of my gear drowning. I think pirogues are pretty stable, but do any of y'all know? Or, is there a cheap, more stable alternative?

Darth Musturd

Reaction score
in my research I figured the Portland pudgy would be the best… it is not a cheap option though… also not meant for shallow rivers where you’ll be scraping over rocks and going over rapids
That actually looks exactly like what I’m looking for in a boat. Especially the waterproof hatches for my gear. I think I’ll save up and buy that!

DikembeMuhobo

Reaction score
It's pronounced Pierogie

All seriousness tho, depends on your level of comfort. I kayaked across the puget sound in a 150 dollar walmart yak. In fact that's what I recommend if you want cheap and stable. Yes, not as fast, but that's probably a good thing. VERY stable. I can do handstands on mine like a paddleboard. Also fine on rapids and that sturdy plastic will be fine on rocks. Ive sent mine down cement drains and such into creeks, alllll good. Worried about gear? Get a dry bag, it's worth it, and you'll be at ease knowing your shits safe in there. Which means you can take in whatever water you need to in navigation, and then pull ashore lift the easily handled 30lb kayak on end pull plug and voila- good to go again. But i'm also a maniac. This is not a safety tip, but i'm trying to answer your question accordingly.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads