Creating a New Hobo Code

Ray Lockwood

Reaction score
2548 NS-329, Hubbards, NS B0J 1T0, Canada
Sorry if there's some redundancy here with the already stated items in this Code of the Road. I just want to add the things I've picked up over the years to this healthy, wholesome stew of principles.
Some simple maxims I generally follow:
>When at a squat/jungle/camp/boondocking
-Take only memories and leave only footprints. And it doesn't hurt or take much time to pick up some things if it's trashy, leave the place a little better than when you came (jonesing tweakers are useful for this as they often clean up thoroughly in hopes of finding lost dope/cash/toys)
>When catching out/stowing away:
-Get down, stay down, shut up. Within reason obviously. Anxious chatterboxes will bait you out in your clandestine endeavours, educate them. A wise man has something to say, a fool has to say something. Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us that do. Segue into the next point...
>When dealing with greenhorns/oogles:
-Know the way, go the way, and show the way. Tell them and they'll forget, teach them and they'll remember, but involve them and they will learn. Lead by example. Don't be stingy with knowledge, it's free. Share the code of the road, and the road will reward us all.
>When you can:
-Sharing is caring. I know, I know. This kind of life ain't kindergarten, but the rule should still apply. Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you. it's In any case, things usually come back around, to the generous and to the greedy.
>When someone does you dirty:
-An eye for an eye leaves everyone blind. Vengeance tastes sweet but it seldom improves the overall situation and often just causes more unnecessary noise, heat, and drama. Sometimes you just gotta let shit go, at least for the time being anyways, after all revenge is a dish best served cold. I understand this is all a bit contradictory but some shit you just can't let go. People who don't let anything go populate the penitentiaries.
>When "the Fear" strikes:
-Smart choices come from experience, experience comes from dumb choices. Don't be afraid to at least try something, after all it's the journey and not the destination right? After all, the cave you fear to enter holds the treasures that you seek. When opportunity knocks some fools are in the backyard seeking 4 leaf clovers. Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right! Even in failing you succeed at learning.

If I'm way off base here at any point feel free to put me "back on track" as the old sage 'boes would say.

Billy Cougar White

Reaction score
Always say thank you. nobody owes us a ride, a meal, a place to sleep, or some change. those are things people do out of kindness, make sure they know it is appreciated, then they will be more likely to help another misfit traveler in the future.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
just a small update, i've compiled all of the suggestions so far and i'm working on compressing it all down into simple language. i'll post the end result here for everyone to critique and suggest changes.

thank you all for the help, it's been immensely useful.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Okay! So I've been working on this for the past two days, and here is the list i've compiled! I'm pretty happy with it, but I'm posting it here to see if folks can point out anything I'm missing or any flaws in my philosophy, etc. So post your suggestions!

huge thanks to @wizehop, @Sirius, and @Ray Lockwood for their suggestions!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since there seem to be a lot of Drainbows, Scum Fucks, Oogles, and Hipsters in the travel punk world of late, I thought it might be helpful to go over a few suggestions on how to be a good traveler. Ideally, I’d like to create a traveler culture in the future that is made up of the kinds of people that give back to the world instead of only taking from it. I think being a good human being is timeless, so not unlike previous codes of ethics passed around from hobo to hobo back in the late 1800’s, think of this as a ‘new’ hobo / punk traveler code to live by.

Be humble & avoid entitlement

Popularity comes through humility and doing good deeds; not by proving you’re better than others. Nobody owes you a ride, meal, place to sleep, or some change. Those are things people do out of kindness, so make sure they know it is appreciated, that way they will be more likely to help other misfit travelers in the future.

No gods, no masters

Ultimate freedom lies being able to decide your own life, and accept the consequences of doing so. If you need to let someone rule you (i.e. working a job / having a boss) do it with the goal of becoming your own person once again, hopefully better off than you were before.

Only steal from corporations, not people.

Remember, corporations are not people; while not all of them are evil, most corporations have to be in order to compete in our capitalist society. Make sure you know the difference between a locally owned grocery and a multi-national conglomerate. Give your money to former, and take what you can from the latter.

Always try to find work before panhandling.

Sure, it’s a hell of a lot easier to ask people for money than it is to work for it, but that money is coming from the kindness of an individual that sympathizes with your position. This is probably because it’s not that far removed from their own, or they’ve been in a similar place before. Don’t abuse the hard work others had to do to earn the money that was given to you.

Also, remember that ‘work’ doesn’t have to be a ‘job’. Doing things like making jewelry or selling dumpstered items on eBay can be a great way to support yourself and keep your freedom.

Only panhandle for things you need, not things you want.

Food, shelter, and clothing are all examples of needs. Booze, drugs, toys and other things that are not completely necessary to your existence are wants. If there’s something you want as opposed to need, find a job and work for it. Making others do that work for you is incredibly dishonest.

Respect handouts and don’t wear them out.

Another traveler will be coming along who needs them as bad (if not worse) than you. If you must panhandle, do so respectfully and non-aggressively. Don’t be greedy; when you’ve got what you need, move on. If you’re spanging as a group, everyone should pitch in what they made and divide that equally or collectively use the money to spend on the needs of the group.

Do your best to maintain a reasonable level of hygiene.

Nothing puts off small town locals or makes you a target for police harassment more than being dirtier than you need to be. If your friends can smell you, it’s time to find a bath, shower, local river, or take a bird bath in a fast food restaurant bathroom.

Always respect nature and don’t leave garbage in your wake.

Don’t leave trash behind in the park, don’t take a dump in hobo jungles, and don’t go smashing bottles under bridges just because there’s no one there to stop you. Take only pictures, leave only footprints.

Everything in moderation.

Don’t be afraid to let loose and party like it’s the end of the world every once in a while. Everyone should be able to relax and get out of their heads for a bit, just make sure you can put yourself back together the next day. That said, if getting wasted becomes a need that you can’t control, find a way to get help and continue your travels on the sober path.

Pitch in and help when needed.

Help out whoever, whenever, however you can. Treat people in need the way you'd want to be treated in need. We all fall, need help to get back up, and depend on the people around us to survive. Whether you’re someone’s house guest, just met a group of new travelers on the street, or have been traveling with someone on the road for any period of time always contribute and try to pull your own weight.

When train hopping, ride your train respectfully, don’t take chances, and don’t cause problems for the crew or train yard.

Rolling into a yard naked riding on the nose of a unit does not make you a train rebel, it makes you a moron. The extra two likes you get on Facebook for that picture is not worth the trouble you’ve just given to every other rider passing through that area for god knows how long. Be ninja. Stay low and out of sight.

Call out all assaults on women, people of color, and LGBT.

Everyone is welcome in the travel punk world, and all of them deserve respect. Even if you are not a member of these groups yourself, you can be an ally to them and work together to make the world a more tolerant place.

Be open to new experiences and try to say ‘yes’ to everything!

Don't be afraid to try new things. If someone asks you to join them in an activity, imagine what it would be like to say ‘yes’ before you decline the offer. Even if you don’t feel like doing that thing, say yes anyways! It’s entirely possible that you will reach the end of that day being glad you did.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads