Coffin Dodger, 24, Stuck in MO fer Seven Years

Coffin Dodger

Reaction score
Dig In. Opt-Out.

Greetings from Columbia. Long days.

This is my first post, though I've been lurkin' on squat the planet since the days of the original website. I'm originally from STL, born and raised up there until I turned 16, at which point I dropped out from a district threatening to expel me over politics. Took to the road fer the first time, hitching and walking, going all the fuck over the midwest to visit firends and join in on (mostly) anti-war actions. That'd've been the summer the war first started. I was on the road a bit longer than a year before I wound up back in STL. I headed out to Columbia a couple years later.

And I tried, my soul and eyes be damned, I tried. Not entirely sure why, to this day. But I got myself a girl, I got myself a roof, a job, and trained up in a career. Granted the career was tattooing, but still. As close as I could see getting to being a productive member of what's left of the amerikan dream, like.
The girl took off when it seemed like I'd become a castrated shadow of myself. I got demoted fer bullshit reasons and now werk the counter at a shop in town fer a bullshit wage. Still licensed, though, and I've been werking on building a portfolio to take with me.

But I'm done.
It failed, or I failed, ether way, it ain't fer me. So, after a year of wondering what the fuck to do, I started to remember. Remember the road, and the big picture.
So, not being one to lay down, I'm gonna' do something about it all. I'm planning a thru-hike from coast to coast, planting and talking about sustainable lifestyles and permaculture all the way. I'm hoping between my personal savings, other friends adding funds, donations, and proceeds from shows and art sales, I'll have enough to secure a chunk of 50-100 acres out west, on which I plan on building a sustained, free-space farm.
Original? Not quite. Realistic? I don't rightly know, or care to test luck in reckoning. But I gotta try.

I started a blog to serve as a public travel log of the hike, my prep fer it, transitions away from consumer culture, articles about everything from art and politics to survival and localizing means of production.

Check it out, let me know what you think.
I hope I see you guys out there.

http://digin-optout.blogspot.com
-Coffin Dodger:zombie:

Coffin Dodger

Reaction score
Thanks. It's something to occupy my time, at least. Just hope someone can take something away from it all.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads