C'mooon springtime

dethwish

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm Collin from GA. Never rode a freight before but have been around em a lot the last few years and talked to some folks and figure I got the basics down. As soon as things warm up, I'd like to visit some friends in NY. I'll be catching out of Athens, GA and want to end up eventually in Fairport, NY. Will I be able to plan a specific route or am I just going to have to do things on the fly? (I know this has been done to death, but) any tips?

dethwish

Reaction score
Also, How terrible of an idea would leaving ASAP be? I'm just worried about the cold (especially considering that I'm going North). Thanks in advance, y'all

Keyser Soze

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
are you kidding? never hopped a train (not that big a deal), an yer goin GA to upstate NY ... right now ?? your name is about right on. dethwish.

i prefer to go with the seasons, igloos are fun to hotbox, not to live in all winter... but if that's your game, stay warm brotha.

100_0405.JPG
100_0406.JPG

dethwish

Reaction score
I can deal with basic cold, ya know? I'm a former infantry Marine who's spent a fair share of time in the field and slept under a bridge a time or two and shit. I'm just thinking it gets cold as fuck on that train with the wind and all that. I don't see too many traveling kids coming thru this time of year and I'm guessing that's the reason.

K

Kim Chee

windchill, riding into changing weather, getting on a train that heads into mountains, etc. There was a guy here not too long ago who made his introduction by basically saying, "hello, I'm in Canada* and want to ride my first train real soon can somebody help me?" Basically everybody who responded told him that he was going to die. You're a bit further south, but if the jetstream brings in arctic air or any of the other things I mentioned earlier happen you may not understand the best way to deal with it. Maybe find somebody who has ridden trains in the middle of winter before and ride with them.

*nothing against my neighbors to the north.

dethwish

Reaction score
Thanks a lot. My plan really is to wait until things warm up a bit but I'm getting mad restless and my current situation is fucked. Appreciate it, tho!

Keyser Soze

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I can deal with basic cold, ya know? I'm a former infantry Marine who's spent a fair share of time in the field and slept under a bridge a time or two and shit. I'm just thinking it gets cold as fuck on that train with the wind and all that. I don't see too many traveling kids coming thru this time of year and I'm guessing that's the reason.

dethwish.jpg
<---dethwish

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
Ya man first time + winter = bad combo. Its not a matter of toughness its a matter of being prepared and understanding what its like. Its a new and harsh environment and you need to know first hand what your going to get stuck dealing with.
A bullet to the head will kill a marine who's been to battle for 20 years just as fast as a guy on the field for his first day, no matter how tough they are. If you go into something without knowing exactly what your up against you wont have the knowledge needed to prevent bad shit from happening. Remember experienced riders die regularly who have years behind them, dont rush into shit.

To be honest rushing and train hopping don't go together anyhow. Good riders know patience, wait until its warm and see how you do. Then from your first hand experience build from there.

Reactions: Keyser Soze

dethwish

Reaction score
Word. My rough idea of a plan is to just kinda kick it in this yard that I write graffiti at until I run into someone travelling and ask for help. I've ran into folks out there before and they always tell me that they are headed to SC from there. So I mean I know the train heads up north, in general, but how hard is it to get to a specific city? Anyone ride up to Rochester, NY area before?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads