Charge electronics with fire

MFB

Reaction score
This is awesome! I've been wondering when this type of product would be available.

Id be worried about "Charging times vary by device and by strength of fire" though.

I'll stick with shitty pocket rockets, butane, and friendly looking outlets until a cheaper version comes out. Super cool though.

travelin

Reaction score
reviews say it takes over two hours to half charge a typical cell phone.

it is also top loading so you have to start it and reload it from the top.

one review pointed out it took about two large grovery bags of sticks and twigs to get a recharge and it requires constant every minute tending.

it is extremely heavy for what it does.

for the buck id go with a little foldable solar panel to charge stuff.

its a great concept but it needs to be side loading and it would need to be bigger. too big to carry to really make any electrical production difference.

K

kokomojoe

reviews say it takes over two hours to half charge a typical cell phone.

it is also top loading so you have to start it and reload it from the top.

one review pointed out it took about two large grovery bags of sticks and twigs to get a recharge and it requires constant every minute tending.

it is extremely heavy for what it does.

for the buck id go with a little foldable solar panel to charge stuff.

its a great concept but it needs to be side loading and it would need to be bigger. too big to carry to really make any electrical production difference.

Yeah, I'm sure with time it will be improved. The idea of it though is pretty amazing in my opinion.

travelin

Reaction score
yes absolutely, but its old tech and i mean REALLY old.

try seebeck and peltier for the names of two men who reliezed the concept.

there is a larger home cookstove out there that will produce realistic power.

Scotty

Reaction score
I love this kind of stuff. The thermoelectric heatsink for a computer was the first I've ever heard of generate electricity from heat alone. That is based on what travelin said, Peltier.

But also.. I started thinking about Oxygen sensors on automobiles and how they generate their own voltage.

I started diggin in a little more on the oxygen sensors and I came up with this:

"When hot (at least 250 °C), the zirconium dioxide element in the sensor’s tip produces a voltage that varies according to the amount of oxygen in the exhaust compared to the ambient oxygen level in the outside air. The greater the difference, the higher the sensor’s output voltage."

I can't break that down enough to understand what would happen if you put an oxygen sensor in a fire and were able to test its output with a multimeter. But I may have my old O2 sensor to test it.

For if you do not know, an oxygen sensor measures your cars exhaust to check if its rich or lean and will adjust the fuel to air ratio accordingly. The adjustment is made via a voltage signal. Which the oxygen sensor generates on its own.. not by the alternator or battery.

These O2 sensors can generate up to 1 volt. If I can figure how one works exactly, I could hook 6 in series and charge a phone or run my tape player, or charge a few batteries.

But I'm thinking that even at worst but in a perfect world if I have to replicate the exhaust system, I should be able to screw 6 of these into a pipe and run smoke from a fire all day.. they would read that there's no oxygen.. send a 1volt signal each.. x 6 for my 6volts.

I'm sure I'm missing an important element in there.. I'll have to test hands on to understand.

Sweet stuff. These can be had at junk yards for free too. They're a common wear part, cost $20 for my truck. People don't buy O2 sensors at the junkyard. It would be like buying used guitar strings. Great project and cool product these guys got. I don't ever buy stuff like that, but appreciate the tech.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads