Cat litter vs Toilet Gel

Missus

Former Squatter (By Force)
Reaction score
Hey there, I was wondering if anyone might have experience with cat litter being used for a person's waste vs toilet gel?

From what I can tell, the cat litter is gonna be a lot cheaper but I'm not sure if it'll be as effective as the toilet gel so to speak. Since it continues to look more like my husband and I will be squatting, I want to find a solution that is cheaper while minimizing smell and ease of removal and whatnot. Water may or may not be possible in the place we're planning to be, so I'd rather have a back up plan.

Thoughts appreciated. :)

Dmac

Reaction score
Wood ash work well for covering feces and it helps with the smell. You might be able to rig up a composting toilet fairly cheap. There are dyi videos on YouTube about it. Good luck.

• Useful
  • Wow
Reactions: Sameer and Missus

V4wandering

Reaction score
Separating urine from the solids will also help a LOT with smell. *

Is this a question of what to use in the bucket? Or more about disposal afterwards?

Will you be staying in city areas or more country?
There are things like composting toilets, willow feeders, tree bogs.

*Think of poo as being like dry wood on fire, and pee as like gasoline.

• Love It
Reactions: Missus and Sameer

Spazz

Reaction score
  • Love It
Reactions: Missus and Skrat143

Skrat143

Reaction score
The cat litter def doesn’t work how one would hope. Been there. I grabbed a bag of wood pellets as mentioned above and man, it was the best decision I ever made! Def would check into that!!

• Love It
Reactions: Missus

Missus

Former Squatter (By Force)
Reaction score
Is this a question of what to use in the bucket? Or more about disposal afterwards?

Yes and yes actually!

Pine pellets are better (and cheaper) than clay litter for covering up the smell. I'm in a minivan, so I don't compost, but supposedly they work for that too.

A forty pound bag of horse pellets from Tractor Supply would be your best bet, if you have room to store it.

We'll have room! The house we're prepping is a three bedroom house with an attatched garage. Plenty of places to store a bag or two. Thank you so much, I'll tell my husband about this right away.

The cat litter def doesn’t work how one would hope. Been there. I grabbed a bag of wood pellets as mentioned above and man, it was the best decision I ever made! Def would check into that!!

Oh cool, first hand experience was exactly what I was looking to hear. Thanks so much.

Y'all have been invaluable in making this new journey feel less intimidating.

I genuinely appreciate all of you...♡

• Love It
Reactions: Dmac and Skrat143

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads