Cargo Box Houses | Squat the Planet

Cargo Box Houses

shabti

Reaction score
So I'm researching the whole tiny house thing, now that I have a tow vehicle. Ran into this article where they made a house out of the shipping containers you find on trains.

It's kind of astounding how many of these 'not suitable for habitation' type things can be turned into totally insulated little houses.

http://tinyhousetalk.com/artists-shipping-container-home-and-studio/

<edited by Tude to include article in thread :)>

Artist’s Shipping Container Home and Studio
on MAY 26, 2015

In Savannah, GA there is an abundance of unwanted shipping containers left in the city’s port. After being used for one-way flow of consumer goods from China to America these heavy duty containers can easily be re-purposed for environmentally conscious homes.

Julio Garcia, architect, decided to do just that with two 40′ shipping containers to build his own home and studio. The two shipping containers are placed about 6′ apart.

The 6′ gap has a wood-framed floor and shed roof, and the container sidewalls were cut open to create a large spacious living room. This home has one bedroom, one bathroom and a kitchen.

Please enjoy the photos below.

Artist’s Shipping Container Home and Studio

Artist-Shipping-Container-Home-Studio-001-600x387.jpg

Images © Tessa Blumenberg

Artist-Shipping-Container-Home-Studio-002-600x387.jpg

Artist-Shipping-Container-Home-Studio-003-600x387.jpg

Artist-Shipping-Container-Home-Studio-004-600x387.jpg

Artist-Shipping-Container-Home-Studio-005-600x387.jpg

Artist-Shipping-Container-Home-Studio-006-600x387.jpg

Images © Tessa Blumenberg

Resources:

Read more at http://tinyhousetalk.com/artists-shipping-container-home-and-studio/#9ou8ccUKKI8HWDdu.99

Last edited by a moderator:

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Hi there - yeah I've been reading about this - including ones that can be trailered too. I love the one in all white. Rather cool. I could get used to a small area, and would have to get rid of STUFF, but that's fine. Last year I moved into a bigger apt and guess what - I've expanded and I'm not crazy about :) btw I expanded your link out for easier viewing. And thanks for the info!

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
there's a lot of threads about shipping container houses here on stp, try the search and you should come up with some good results. not everyone knows that the idea of shipping containers as houses has been around since the 80's, whereas the tiny house movement is relatively new (2-3 years). the best part about shipping containers is that they are cheap and quite abundant (and easy to build a house with).

Reaction score
View attachment 26192

There was a couple on Doom'sDayPreppers that made their fortress entirely out of these, while they we kinda kooky the idea always stuck with me, they even have vegetation and livestock in that open area in the middle, the pigs fecal matter generates energy too.

http://www.livescience.com/18334-doomsday-preppers-apocalypse.html

Yeah that is a terrible looking place. But I first got into the idea when I watched the movie Tron Legacy back in 2010 when it showed Sam Flynn go to his house. I've been hooked on the idea since then.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads