Came to lurk

Usagi

Reaction score
Used to lurk here years ago when I was thinking about hopping on a train that passes through my area every night. Came back recently because those thoughts are back and noticed I can no longer lurk that particular board as a guest. As a rule I do not really use forums or social media anymore. There isn't much interesting stuff to read if you aren't a member of all this crap because everything is hidden behind pay walls and log-in walls. I've also become very anti-technology as I've gotten older after a youth spent embracing and working with it every day. It's really hard to get by now without a cell phone but I manage. I think the desktop workstation and all the crap I've assembled over the years is going to be next to go.

At any rate I'm the most honest person you'll ever meet and I'm not terribly interested in being your internet friends. I'm not here to bullshit. I just want to read the train forum again.

Be good.

Usagi

Reaction score
Also for what it's worth I'm not some dumb kid that's going to blow up and trash up the spot. I just want to learn about routes again, view some maps, and maybe pass through quietly at some point in the future. I'm planning to go on foot as much as possible since the motorcycle plan didn't work out thanks to covid. I'm mainly interested in the train stuff because it may be helpful for getting myself out of the middle of nowhere or back home quickly from time to time. I lurked that board for a long time and read about all the dangers. I respect it. I'm not interested in losing a leg or fucking it up for everyone else by being an asshole. I just want to be left alone and see some more of the country before I die or everything goes to hell (which seems to be happening sometime soon).

Anyway, I suppose generating some discussion might be a jester of good faith. A train passes through a small town near me almost every night. It stops there for about 15-30 minutes every night. I can walk to those tracks in about 2 hours and used to have a friend that lived right next to them. I've walked up and looked at the cars a few times. Didn't really know what to look for at the time. Called out and offered weed and beer to anyone that might be riding but never got an answer back.

I've looked on google maps and this train runs for a long ways north/south but I'm not really sure how to tell where that particular one might end up. Always been spooked by the thought that they might drop the cars in the middle of nowhere. I could probably find my way back no problem but it seemed like a huge pain in the ass I didn't want to bother with. At any rate my plan was to ride it to some place that might have a opportunity to catch a train heading west, south, or north long distance. For now I'm mostly interested in figuring out how to get to areas with more traffic that doesn't involve using a car or the interstates. I'm not really interested in seeing more of what's along the interstates. I've done enough of that already.

I will probably take off on foot for a short trip soon to feel this out and gain experience for longer trips in the future. My gear is already pretty good because I do so much hiking and camping out over night. I don't claim to know everything but I'm pretty familiar with living in the woods. I've just done it mostly as a solitary thing up until now. Where now I'm more interested in traveling around and meeting new people. I just don't want to deal with the internet part of it. I avoid cell phone addicts like the plague. I do not like every having my picture taken by friends and family. Never did going back to the camcorder days. I can feel it stealing my soul. I do not like cameras in general or the fact that they're now EVERYWHERE even if you don't count the ones everyone is carrying around.

Reactions: JackSquat

TheUndeadPhoenix

The Necromancer King
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
I can't really reveal a whole lot, mostly because I don't know much, but I suggest trying to meet up with somebody, there's a lot of people on this forum, and ride with them until you get used to it. Also this website is really good to kind of figure out where you'll be going OpenRailwayMap - https://www.openrailwaymap.org
Also come join the Discord if you're going to be active, loads of people talk in there and @Matt Derrick hosts a weekly voice chat, and sometimes people just get in voice chat spontaneously.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads