Building a covered wagon on the back of a Subaru

Shakou

Reaction score
So my husband and I have been talking about building a covered wagon/caravan on the back of our Subaru to sleep in over the winter. We have an idea of what we need to do, but were wondering if anyone else out there has ever done this.

Cade

Reaction score
So will you be driving on the freeway with your little covered wagon flapping in the wind behinds you? look up pictures of the day to get advice, or just go ask the Amish.

dolittle

Reaction score
Cade sort of has a point. A covered wagon top would be a snap to do. All U need are 3 or 4 wood or pvc "bows" and a tarp to spread over them & fasten either to the side of the car or underneath.
HOWEVER... at anything much over 5 mph, it will just tear up &/or blow off.
U can do it. U just have to put it up when U park jh& take it down jh& pack it when U head back out on the road.
I have seen a pickup with wood sides, bows h&a tarp over the wood part. But the tarp was laced down to the wood tight as a drum!

TreyEZ

Reaction score
They use to sell tents for this purpose...... They fit right on the back of SUVs.
If you look up this item, you can modify a tent to fit right in the back.
I use to have one, but I traded it to a friend who was going on a long road trip.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads