block heaters

spoorprint

Reaction score
Meant to post this in VanDwelling and rubber tramping, but it keeps getting adressed to general discussion. Anyway.... I'm finding out what you probably knew, which is that diesels rapidly become hard to start in even a little cold. So I did a little research and found out about block heaters.Apparently there are 3 kinds, one that goes in the coolant, one that replaces the oil dipstick, and one that magneticly attaches to the underside of the engine. I'm wondering what your experiance is and what you recommend?

• Useful
Reactions: ByronMc

ByronMc

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I'd go heat the oil dipstick, as it seems to be out of the way & heats the block,instead of just the coolant

Dmac

Reaction score
i have had good luck with the type that goes in the coolant. it keeps the block warm and you do not need to worry about your radiator freezing if it gets really cold.

K

Kim Chee

I don't know about a heater that goes in where the dip stick is placed. There is a block heater which is placed in the block where a freeze plug is removed (works better than the magnetic kind yet installation is more difficult). It was -24 here last week and the I had to heat the ignition to thaw it out. A block heater probably wouldn't have helped there, but much engine wear (and sometimes damage occurs during extreme cold starts).

• Useful
Reactions: ByronMc

Dmac

Reaction score
the ones that i use are typically spliced into the lower radiator hose and have a short cord that you plug into an extension cord. -24 would be a test for any type of block heater. stay warm up there in S.D. Mmmmmmmmichael.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
yeah, when i was living in west yellowstone, montana, i was surprised that almost every car was plugged into their house/apartment. like, every single car. that's when i found out about block heaters cause it gets to like -40 sometimes in that area during the winter.

Reactions: spoorprint

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads