Bike Tramping Southeast Ohio

Marticus

Reaction score
The first real hobo journey I’ve taken in decades, and my first real bike tour too. And I dove in deep, head first and solo. My overconfidence bordered on foolhardiness, but I got through it unscathed. So now it’s just road wisdom and stories.

IMG_3242.jpg

I let Ride with GPS pick the most direct route on back country roads from Columbus, OH due south to Huntington, WV where my uncle lives. Somebody on a Facebook bike tour group had warned me about rednecks in trucks who tried to run him off the road when he rode through southeastern Ohio. I just assumed it was exaggeration caused by typical prejudice against hillbillies. And I think I was right. While most the few people I came across were not thrilled to see me, nobody was outright hostile.

The only real danger I encountered was their dogs. I used to live in the Shenandoah Valley where I often road my bike on 20-25 mile rides. I thought it knew Appalachian cycling – the steep hills, beautiful landscape dotted with rusted trailers and manufactured homes here and there. But Appalachian Ohio is waaaay poorer than Appalachian Virginia, and more densely populated. And it seems like every trailer has neglected, hungry dogs who have never seen a cyclist ride past their property.

I’d been chased by dogs up steep hills in Virginia too, and was always able to outrun them well enough. But this time I was on a bike loaded down with 60 pounds of camping gear, and I was riding much farther than I ever rode before. I was basically a giant, slow moving rabbit to them.

As long as I was going downhill or on flat road I was usually well past their trailer before they noticed me. But southeast Ohio has lots of steep hills, and when you’re slowly plodding up one on a loaded bike, the dogs have much more time to hear and see you coming. At least 7-8 times I got chased by dogs going uphill. Each time I was able to escape before they got close enough to bite my frantically spinning legs, but adrenaline and luck was all that saved me.

It was hard to relax and enjoy the rolling green landscape because every time I started peddling up a hill I was anticipating a rabid dog exploding around the corner of the next trailer.

By the end of the second day my route went through the middle of Wayne National Forest, so I figured I’d have no problem finding some place I could camp at least semi-legally and be gone before anyone noticed. But the Wayne NF is not like the George Washington NF in Virginia, where there’s always a recreation area, or a trailhead, or an abandoned logging road every few miles. Here there was nothing but trailers and houses spaced out with high grass, ticks, snakes and poison ivy in between.
Screen Shot 2023-08-21 at 12.21.59 AM.png

With about 1.5 hours of daylight left, I the zoomed in map way in and saw a green patch off a side road about 2 miles out off my route. I figured that must be NF land where I could find some place to pitch my hammock. So I turned off onto another steep uphill road, and of course had to speed past a dog near the top of the hill before I started back down. I got to another road before I checked the map and realized I passed it. I rode more slowly back the way I came, past the dog again, and looked closely for any NF-type sign. Nothing.

I rode back to my route drained and demoralized. Even though I was at the top of a big hill I was reluctant to descend because I knew there wouldn’t be any good camping spots in the marshy lowlands. And then I’d have to climb uphill again.

One of the beautiful things about this trip was rediscovering that I still had traveller’s luck that always kicked in when I needed it most.

As I started riding slowly downhill I spotted a nice mowed grassy flat spot next to a farm driveway gate and I stopped to rest there to figure out my next move. I decided I could probably cowboy camp there if I had to, but it was visible from the road and to anyone who might turn into the driveway.

But then I noticed there was a stand of trees downhill on the other side of the driveway where I wouldn’t be seen unless someone was really looking for me. So I hung out and I ate the “hot pastrami sandwich” that I bought in a gas station in Jackson. This vile product was made to be microwaved and had an expiration date in mid-2024! At least I still had some wine in my wine sack, a relic from the days when I tramped around in Spain.

By now it was nearly dark and time to set up my first real stealth campsite. I managed to string up my hammock with a mosquito and had a nice cozy bug-free cocoon to sleep until morning.

IMG_3283.jpg

I got up early and packed up. Then I realized my solar battery pack was refusing to recharge my phone. I had only 7% battery left and I still needed to navigate the web of tiny roads through the last 50 miles to Huntington.

I was also starting to run low on water. I had assumed I find enough country stores to refill my water bottles, but nearly all economic activity in this part of Ohio shut down decades ago with the coal mines. Even the outdoor spigots on churches and abandoned stores that I’d tried were dry.

It’s late, I need to go to bed. If anyone actually read this far and wants to know what happened next, let me know. Maybe I’ll manage to finish this story…

ali

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing!

I feel you on the dogs thing. It was by far the worst part of cycling in the US for me. It's not directly a result of poverty either, because i have biked through much poorer areas in Colombia (and other countries) where i never had to deal with dogs attacking me. I think some people in the US have a mean streak which does not stop at merely being selfish or ignorant, but leads to them actively intimidating others, and their pets are just an extension of that. It's a shame that this kind of antisocial behavior isn't really called out by their peers, because it objectively makes everybody's lives more miserable.

How much water are you bringing with you? If there are no shops nearby, I recommend bringing 4L if you are going to overnight it in the bush.

Marticus

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing!

I feel you on the dogs thing. It was by far the worst part of cycling in the US for me. It's not directly a result of poverty either, because i have biked through much poorer areas in Colombia (and other countries) where i never had to deal with dogs attacking me. I think some people in the US have a mean streak which does not stop at merely being selfish or ignorant, but leads to them actively intimidating others, and their pets are just an extension of that. It's a shame that this kind of antisocial behavior isn't really called out by their peers, because it objectively makes everybody's lives more miserable.

How much water are you bringing with you? If there are no shops nearby, I recommend bringing 4L if you are going to overnight it in the bush.

Yeah, that mean streak you describe is maybe the result of Americans' obsession with private property and social isolation. Having a dog ready to attack anyone who comes near certainly helps with that.

I carried about 2L of water because I also had a backpacking water filter. That was another miscalculation. While there were plenty of creeks nearby where I could theoretically pump water, they were always inaccessible because there was always thick brush, barb wire, and poison ivy between the road and the stream, no easy path to the water. I could do it if I had to, but luckily I never got that desperate. So on my return trip I carried about 4L of water.

laughingman

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hey Marticus. Awesome job on the ride. It looks and sounds like it would be quite the adventure. And good move on the hammock as well. Is that one of the NAM erra jungle hammocks? I can add a plus one on the dogs in Appalachia as well. They can be brutal as they try to "protect" there territory. I live in rural PA and know dog owners like this. Often times it has to do with not socializing or introducing there dogs to strangers often. So the dog will respond with fear and aggression when it sees literately anyone other then its people. Sadly if the dog in question attacks someone it will almost always be put down afterwards. So in reality they are all risking the lives of there dogs as well as making the life of anyone coming near there house harder. I will say the being run off the road by trucks thing isn't a total myth. But its only happened to me twice in 15 odd years of riding on the road, and one of those was in California. More often people seam to want to throw drinks at me. I don't know maybe I just have one of those faces.

Reactions: Dmac

Dmac

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your journey! I have had more problems with aggressive dogs than anything else on my trips. FYI , Those small, pocket sizes cans of mace will stop a dog in its tracks and doesn’t cause any lasting harm to the animal. Works well on their owners too.

Reactions: Marticus

bikepaths

Global Sojourner
Reaction score
Website
t.me
Right on. I have been nomadic on bike 20 years now.
I use OsmAnd Android app (highly recommended) for offline mapping, carry 8" Samsung Wifi tablet with GPS, no cellcard, hit up free wifi hotspots.

Most all fears non-nomads have are overblown. Everyday people who live in houses don't know the reality of life out there.

For dogs, I back off and find a stick. They typically get the message, but small can of mace is good too. My camping is pretty much all stealth. I like checking out abandoned places.

Once dark sets in, finding a camp site is way more difficult, but I've gotten better at it over the years. Sometimes you gotta be bold and set your alarm to get out of there at sun up. The stories I have ...

Concerning power, I carried a solar panel for a few years, but here in the uSa, I seem to be able to find plenty of available outlets, so one high-end external uSb battery is all I need. Of course, I am no big power user. Everything is uSb chargeable and I don't stay out in the wilderness for more than a few days or a week.

"Traveler's luck" is a reality. I have found some pretty big stashes tossed out along the side of the road. Always a pleasure.

I will be heading out of central LA to Vegas about mid September if anyone wants to meet up.

Reactions: Dmac and Marticus

Marticus

Reaction score
Hey Marticus. Awesome job on the ride. It looks and sounds like it would be quite the adventure. And good move on the hammock as well. Is that one of the NAM erra jungle hammocks? I can add a plus one on the dogs in Appalachia as well. They can be brutal as they try to "protect" there territory. I live in rural PA and know dog owners like this. Often times it has to do with not socializing or introducing there dogs to strangers often. So the dog will respond with fear and aggression when it sees literately anyone other then its people. Sadly if the dog in question attacks someone it will almost always be put down afterwards. So in reality they are all risking the lives of there dogs as well as making the life of anyone coming near there house harder. I will say the being run off the road by trucks thing isn't a total myth. But its only happened to me twice in 15 odd years of riding on the road, and one of those was in California. More often people seam to want to throw drinks at me. I don't know maybe I just have one of those faces.

The hammock - nah, it's just a $20 cheapie from Amazon. Works great, but I don't expect it to last very long.

The dogs - yeah, I definitely will be more careful next time I ride through Appalachia. I even knew about this story about a cyclist getting her leg chewed off by 3 pitbulls last year in southern Ohio near where I rode. But I figured I could just outrun dogs if I needed to. Thankfully I did, but just barely.

Marticus

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your journey! I have had more problems with aggressive dogs than anything else on my trips. FYI , Those small, pocket sizes cans of mace will stop a dog in its tracks and doesn’t cause any lasting harm to the animal. Works well on their owners too.

Mace, yes definitely!

Seajatt

Reaction score
Ironically, yall are mentioning dogs, I had two BIG Rottweilers square up on me yesterday. Beautiful dogs, but definitely had my pepper spray ready. Luckily they were just some curious bois

Reactions: Dmac and Marticus

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads