bike attachment for railroad | Squat the Planet

bike attachment for railroad

ali

Reaction score
This is awesome as hell. I saw a guy riding something like this in Colombia, but i think it was permanently designed for riding on the rails and not convertible.

MetalBryan

Reaction score
Here's another bike-rail video that popped up suggested. This one is cool because there's 4 (slight) variations on the setup but they use this device as a sidecar for gear. Looks like they can carry a suitcase and ~5 gallons of water in addition to regular bike gear.

• Epic
Reactions: NightWalk and ali

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
folks have been doing this for years but the designs are definitely getting better and more practical. I'd like to see more people doing this long distance!

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
The sidecar setup to hold gear is brilliant. If the two designs in these videos were merged into one I think it would be pretty dialed in. I imagine there's gotta be some weird twisting physics at play since the weight is offset by a few feet off on the other rail and you're pulling that weight from the bike side. Surely there's some twisting/bending forces on that telescoping rod. Seems like a hinged square telescoping tube with a shock would help with that.

Reactions: Matt Derrick

castler

Reaction score
Now all they need is a train horn and some switch to engage crossings. Then they'd really have it made in a shade.

Thing I'd like bout this is the fact rail riding would be much smoother. Sidewalks can be in disrepair or bad streets causing riding to be inconvenient esp with traffic. I'd rather run on the rails

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads