Ask me anything about diesel engine repair. | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Ask me anything about diesel engine repair.

• Thread starter Deleted member 24782
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 24782

I have a 1982 international bus that hasn't been started since 2017 and the diesel in it is from 2015. Do I really need to drain the tank before starting it again?

NO, diesel stays pretty stable. The bigger concern with long term storage is condensation build up, if a partially full diesel tank has been sitting for years condensation/water will mix with the fuel. But most diesel engines especially big trucks and buses usually have some sort of fuel/water separator to compensate for this. But don't worry about it. As long as the fuel cap was on, your good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beegod Santana
D

Deleted member 24782

How do you know this? Lol. There, I asked!

I had a running list of 20 people over a 1 year period who's WVO conversions had failed. Primarily issues with the Stanadyne DB2 injection pump which is common on Chevy and Ford diesel V8's, among others. They will work for a little while with WVO but they DO NOT LIKE it. Ultimately, people had to replace their pumps MULTIPLE times or scrap the vehicle all together. Defeating the entire purpose, ideology, and economics of running your vehicle on vegetable oil or biodiesel.

SORRY FOR ALL THE CAPS LOCK.

Last edited:

Bobbas Thomas

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Dodge/Chrysler never made a Cummins powered van, unfortunately! Somewhat rare but I've seen the Ford E-350, high top 4x4!! It's like these adventure vehicles I've seen on the West coast, they look really expensive.

There is a company in Pennsylvania called quigley that does those 4x4 van conversions. The ones I've seen have come from there

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads