Ashland Oregon's "problem" with travelers

Dunedrifter

Reaction score
Story in a local paper:

http://m.mailtribune.com/news/20160...ho-say-theyre-part-of-counterculture-movement

• Ashland grapples with 'travelers' who say they're part of a counterculture movement
  • Daily Tidings / Julie Akins
  • By Julie Akins
    for the Mail Tribune

Posted Sep. 3, 2016 at 12:01 AM

Ashland police Chief Tighe O’Meara recently met with police officials from other parts of the state to discuss the recent phenomena of “travelers” coming through communities.These are people on the homeless spectrum who are hitchhiking and traveling through West Coast cities, often busking and doing one- or two-day jobs and most often sleeping and congregating outside in public spaces.“We’re right at the beginning of this and it’s likely to be a long and complicated conversation,” said O’Meara.“We’re not trying to fill the role of social services. But how are we going to respond to this sudden uptick? It’s different than the stereotypical middle-aged person with substance or mental health issues. How do we legally and compassionately enforce camping prohibitions? What’s the appropriate law enforcement response?” There are not a lot of hard numbers on homeless young people roaming from city to city. They are categorized under the standard homeless banner and that number is growing. It’s increased by 9 percent a year in Oregon, according to the federal department of Housing and Urban Development.A recent study by University of Southern California tracked 1,000 traveling youth and concluded most are homeless because of difficult family situations. But that survey was completed in 2013. As the numbers increase, the group may be becoming a movement.“We can’t paint people of this community with a broad brush, but we’ve had members come to the mayor’s listening sessions saying they are part of a counter-culture community designed to be a jarring presence that rattles your cage and effects perspective,” said O’Meara. “It’s a declaration against what society has become. It’s a 21st century version of the 1960s' hippie movement.” In speaking with a group of travelers lounging on a small patch of dirt downtown, O’Meara’s statements seem to be reinforced. “This is my feeling. We’re on the forefront of a revolutionary act awakening to the fact that the system is broken,” said Cory Bradley, explaining his own reasons for traveling.“Revolution is about harmony. Revolutions don’t have to be bloody. We need to create more opportunities for organic healthy food and water and environmental awareness,” said his friend, Matthew Nelson, chiming in on the conversation.“Our culture is not intimate. It keeps the carrot in your face for the American Dream. That’s not our dream. We have a dream where we all get fed and care for each other,” said Bradley. Others in the group strummed banjos, some blurted out agreement about harmony and food, and supported sharing rather than the current norm of a standard job and housing model. When asked about work, Bradley said he doesn’t mind doing the work, but the way it’s typically done bothers him.“Jobs don’t care about you and your life," he said. "You’re just working nine to five. We work for the things we need and we’d like to work more. How about a work trade hostel? What I need is so much less. I’d love to work for what I need designing community gardens.”“The vast majority who flow through town don’t do anything against the law,” said O’Meara. But he went on to say some do and that needs to be addressed. The chief also says the cultural phenomena may have some of its roots in the marijuana business. “It’s happening in Washington, Oregon and Colorado,” he said. The three states which have legalized recreational use of cannabis are finding greater populations of travelers, according to O’Meara, but he does not think marijuana workers are the majority of the group. “I think there’s a connection. I don’t think it’s a one-to-one correlation,” he said. “I wouldn’t say it’s a majority, but a substantial sub-section.”When asked about coming to Ashland to find work in the pot industry, the travelers group went quiet. No one would volunteer whether they worked with growers. But Bradley said he believes any crop which takes over too much creates a bigger problem. “Mono-cropping is a huge threat to a sustainable future and organic food supply.” He expressed a general concern that marijuana could create this issue if it were to go unchecked.O’Meara said the work in understanding this phenomena is just beginning. “We’re really just coming together to have initial conversations to determine the root causes of the issue, how we can address it and which parts we should address.”

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
crazy man. well i definitely appreciate how they're not instantly demonizing everyone, and holy crap did the community luck out with whoever they were interviewing, because those are some brilliant answers.

what's weirdest of all is that ashland oregon was the first place i ever hitchhiked to (from eugene) back in 1998. that's where my travel career (and StP) got it's start.

D

Desert

I love Ashland. The first time I visited, I was lucky enough to run into an old punk who took me on a street-level tour of the city. Since then, I have made a few good friends in the area. Southern Oregon is beautiful and the people I have found have been kind.

There has always been a large traveler population moving through the area so it's not new. Unfortunately, however, the entire I-5 corridor South of Eugene has become pretty traveler unfriendly. Panhandling laws have become much more common, sacred spots have been blocked off and National Forest access has been severely limited.

Beautiful place, though...hate to see that they believe we are becoming an issue.

Reaction score
I graduated high school in Ashland and still have a lot of friends there. I also have a lot of friends that are a part of the long distance hiking community and Ashland is the first stop in Oregon along the Pacific Crest Trail. I am glad to see a slightly more positive article for once, from what I hear talking with my local friends, it's become pretty crazy, especially in the Plaza and Lithia Park area as far as enforcement. Even non travelers are being harassed for loitering. My hiking friends look like travelers sometimes. Or homeless people. By the time they roll into town they are exhausted, filthy, smell terrible and carrying a backpack. I had two friends get taken into custody last year simply because they were labeled as "travelers". It's a sad state of affairs, I love Ashland and remember the community and sense of family always being there, it hurts to know that some of the magic is going away :'(

Rob Nothing

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I was there last year and while yes it is very beautiful scenery and it is a college town and it's small and convenient, I caught a whiff of yupp-ishness there that made me want to leave asap. those towns you feel like you are walking through a strip-mall, the tidiness of an overtly artificial headspace, no matter what side of the tracks you find yourself. I was gone again within a few hours of arriving, and no plans of going back.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I caught a whiff of yupp-ishness there that made me want to leave asap.

that's not the ashland i remember, although it's been a few years since the last time i was there. the shakespeare festival gets a little yuppie-ish during the summer but otherwise i remember it being a pretty great town; like i said though, things definitely could have changed though.

Reactions: Rob Nothing

Art101

Reaction score
I remember folks back in the late 80's talking up Ashland big time.Always seemed like people were either heading there or coming back from.

Reaction score
Website
www.vagabondsphoto.com
I love Ashland. The first time I visited, I was lucky enough to run into an old punk who took me on a street-level tour of the city. Since then, I have made a few good friends in the area. Southern Oregon is beautiful and the people I have found have been kind.

There has always been a large traveler population moving through the area so it's not new. Unfortunately, however, the entire I-5 corridor South of Eugene has become pretty traveler unfriendly. Panhandling laws have become much more common, sacred spots have been blocked off and National Forest access has been severely limited.

Beautiful place, though...hate to see that they believe we are becoming an issue.

Amen to the traveler unfriendly. Medford, Ashland, all those areas. Eugene is great, tons of social services, food banks, shelters, etc. But you are right. Once you head south. It gets harder.

Reactions: Mankini
G

Grubblin

Great article. I fat thumbed it and hit dislike instead of like. I thought the police chief was extremely forward thinking in not lumping all travelers into the same worthless, degenerate mold. Too bad he's probably the only cop in the entire nation that thinks that way.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
crazy man. well i definitely appreciate how they're not instantly demonizing everyone, and holy crap did the community luck out with whoever they were interviewing, because those are some brilliant answers.

^No shit about the brilliant answers part. Those were great, lol. I have ran into alot of police departments that do not demonize the traveler culture as a whole, they do, however, go after the douchebags that give the culture a bad name. I have had really good luck with this in OR, especially Bend and Eugene. I have had cops in both of these towns toss me money in full uniform while busking.

I will say again, that I have noticed an increase in shitty people coming into towns that are, or WERE, traveler friendly, and fucking up the scene. Bend is getting bad with this. I have seen some weird shit, like "travelers" chasing kids of of public restrooms to shoot up and nod out. Or getting shit-faced and yelling at people in downtown because they are "privileged rich fucks". I try not to be too judgmental, but when I travel, I try to be respectful to others who show me respect. It ensures that these areas will continue to be supportive and friendly to all types of people. Bottom line, please dont fuck up the scene for everyone else. The world doesnt revolve around you.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads