Anyone know any good books about revolution? (1 Viewer)

spoorprint

Hometown
Steubenville, United States
On Revolution, by Hannah Arendt. Arendt raised the question why do the early, direct democratic phases of revolution never last.

Obsolete Communsm, by Daniel Cohn-Bendit. About the French worker student revolt of 1968, with chapters on how Leninism destroyed the Russian revolution.

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

plagueship

Hometown
the desert
omg really, no one 2nding TCI?? let me plug it a little more descriptively:
i would put this on a level with society of the spectacle and kapital (two books also worth reading, btw, well, at least SoS). the coming insurrection is sort of a watering down of the ideas of the tiqqun collective who authored one of the most profound critiques of modern society. it's really not very long and is very well written. the first half of the book is a systematic analysis of all the levels of a civilization that now justifies its domination mainly through the indefinite management of its own collapse. the second half tries to locate potential points of rupture and modes of developing resistance and the potential for revolutionary force. society of spectacle is worth reading too, an older book, and the major text of the situationist movement, which analyzes how representation comes to dominate all social relations in late capitalism.

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Hometown
Montreal, Canada
There was this book at a university library I used to hang out in back in the day. It was a thick hardcover book called "blue prints to revolution", I cant find anything about it online, and I've only ever heard/seen it at that library. It was by far the most amazing and detailed manual I have seen to date.
The strange thing was the forward was written by Ronald Reagan and it was actually created for the elite in order to fight off revolution. Non the less it had chapters on everything from fighting gorilla warfare, to setting up different styles of cells, and secret orders, propaganda, recruiting, media, mass thinking and how to use it, you name it; anything you needed to know to start and operate a movement on the biggest of levels, along with all the history on how it was used ext.

I had planned on steeling it along with a handful of other priceless books but I took a backpacking trip through Latin America that winter and when I came back half a year later my brain switched onto different things.
Now that I've seen this thread I'm going to see if I can go nab it.

BrisVatne

Lurker
Hometown
Riverdale Park, United States
Website
www.facebook.com
my book list
Weather underground manifesto
Che's guerrilla warfare
the communist manifesto
Industrial Society and Its Future
civil disobedience by my good friend henry David throe
the state and revolution by Lenin "much quoted never read"
Trotsky, the revolution betrayed
chairman Mao's on guerrilla warfare
anything by hunter Thomson
http://www.marxists.org/
^ that site is epic

spoorprint

Hometown
Steubenville, United States
What gets me is that many of the books posted in this thread are about seizing state power rather than reorganizing society-about political rather than social revolution. I thought most of the people here were anarchists.

Z

zea mays

I deleted myself
This is kind of unconventional, but Seeing by Jose Saramago...... It starts out with this city having en election, and everyone in the city unanimously just casts blank votes. The book deals with the government collapsing into more and more desperate measures and the citizens spontaneously getting totally mutualistic.

mycophage

Lurker
Hometown
Midwest
One that I am surprised is not mentioned on this thread is "Blood in My Eye" by George Jackson.
George Jackson was an incarcerated black panther and read extensively on other revolutionary material. It's better written than anything by Che, or anything by any Leninist IMO. However, Jackson references most other revolutionary writing. It is available as a zine or on many websites as a pdf for free by simply googling. Sometimes the zine is called (BIME)

D

deleted user

I deleted myself
I second derrick jensens work, i never read DGR but i never found his work to be transphobic honestly

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$100.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $100.00 of $100.00 - reached!
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $100.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Just found out my neighbor died. One day I'm helping him change his starter, the next he's gone. Just walked around inside his house. That would be the first time I have smelled death. The eeriest though was that the UPS guy still left him a package. PS He was a big John Wayne fan!! RIP Rick!
SIX10 wrote on Cussock's profile.
whatz your avatar from?? looks sick
Twin cities folks, anybody looking to go out, maintain a respectable distance, and explore something this Friday night?
Committed phone memory to two of these guys albums just last night, after not listening to them for years. Found out today that one of em died just two days prior.
They fathered ebm in 1981 -the same genre of industrial that NIN brought to the mainstream over 10 years later.

Dude thinks he's gonna "make a deal" with the virus.

It's like a virtual pact with *Satan*.👹 Maybe if he sacrifices all the helpless ones to the thing, the devil will just let him be? Let him keep his status, his presidency, his supporters?
Does anyone living away from a metropolitan area even know what a skunk smells like?
Welp after a alomst a decade of various travels I finally got settled for good in Cincy....two months later this shit happens an myself an all my friends r unemployed...I got April bills payed but if my work doesn't reopen by may...I'll cya kids on the road again.. apocalypticmaybe who knows, be safe my traveling family. Cya soon potentially

Members online