any boat punks around philly?

Hurin

Reaction score
not yet, still tryna figure out how to do it on the cheap. just connected with someone here who might teach me boat repair. down to help / tag along on any boat related things!

Thats awesome. I think knowing how to repair your own boat would make boat life a lot easier. Thats definitely something I want to learn along the way too, especially fixing the motor and any kind of damage to the hull. I'd also be down to tag along on any boat related stuff around philly. I want to learn anything I can.

I am kinda thinking the first step for me to learn sailing is to get a smaller sailboat and take it to nockamixon and just kind of figure out tacking and jibing in a relatively safe kind of way. Then when I get the hang of that, sell the little boat and get something bigger that I can live on full time. It seems like you can get something reasonably cheap. I don't know what slips cost in and around Philly, but around the LA area it seems like 450-650/month for a smaller sailboat. Definitely the cheapest rent you can get around LA by a longshot... short of sleeping in a tent (which will land you all kinds of fines and jail time).

Reactions: fig

fig

Reaction score
Thats awesome. I think knowing how to repair your own boat would make boat life a lot easier. Thats definitely something I want to learn along the way too, especially fixing the motor and any kind of damage to the hull. I'd also be down to tag along on any boat related stuff around philly. I want to learn anything I can.

Everything but the engine is surprisingly easy to learn, or at least handle well enough to work with.

It's genuinely worth calling boatyards, marinas etc and asking if they have any abandoned/derelict boats you could take off their hands. Alot of the time they'll have boats that are years behind on payment, and you can buy them for a portion of what's owed. No title, you used to be able to retitle in VT as a homemade but I'm not sure if that's still possible, I've been back on land for a couple years now.

Sailing itself is fucking hard though, get a running outboard motor, a few of the biggest anchors you can find and as much heavy chain as you can find. The concepts are fairly simple, but actually making them work on the water is another thing entirely.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads