Ahoy all, newbie Canadian here.

frigusoris

Reaction score
Ahoy, names Rory. Or frig, whatever works. Never really been the wandering type, but I'm getting sick of the "normal" life of slaving to make someone else rich. Recently developed some back problems and have a rod in my left leg from knee to ankle, so I'm not exactly agile anymore and its kept me from working the only job I really know, warehousing.

Broke as hell and no idea how I'm paying rent or bills this month, so I've been seriously considering heading to BC for the winter, but I've zero experience and no one to travel with...

Mostly thinking out loud at this point, but I'm glad I found this site. I'll be researching and trying to convince myself one way or the other what to do.

Anyways, thanks for having me.

• Best of Luck!
Reactions: Etown961

Tekamthi

Reaction score
Hey sorry to hear about these difficulties... the BC coast (ie vancouver) is rather mild compared to some parts of Canada, but its still not all that warm in wintertime... BC as a whole, ignoring Van and Vic, is just as cold as anywhere else really.

Do you have experience living outside for an extended time (I assume this would be your plan... otherwise living costs are quite high in Van/Vic, relative to many places)? Are you prepared to constantly be mitigating the light rain (it doesn't rain hard very often, but it does rain constantly for months straight)? Vancouver and the lower mainland has lots of transient population and a history of hippies etc. which may seem welcoming, but these people are constantly struggling against the majority, and it also has a lot of crime, racists, bigots and general intolerance, compared to other big cities like Toronto... I only have brief experiences in Edmonton and can't comment on that culture. All that said its probably better on some of these issues than many rural areas, and these things are all subjective to your appearance and disposition.

If you could find some excuse to be allowed to cross the border and head south, or some way to sneak across despite your mobility issues, you might be better off imo

Reactions: frigusoris

frigusoris

Reaction score
Hey sorry to hear about these difficulties... the BC coast (ie vancouver) is rather mild compared to some parts of Canada, but its still not all that warm in wintertime... BC as a whole, ignoring Van and Vic, is just as cold as anywhere else really.

Do you have experience living outside for an extended time (I assume this would be your plan... otherwise living costs are quite high in Van/Vic, relative to many places)? Are you prepared to constantly be mitigating the light rain (it doesn't rain hard very often, but it does rain constantly for months straight)? Vancouver and the lower mainland has lots of transient population and a history of hippies etc. which may seem welcoming, but these people are constantly struggling against the majority, and it also has a lot of crime, racists, bigots and general intolerance, compared to other big cities like Toronto... I only have brief experiences in Edmonton and can't comment on that culture. All that said its probably better on some of these issues than many rural areas, and these things are all subjective to your appearance and disposition.

If you could find some excuse to be allowed to cross the border and head south, or some way to sneak across despite your mobility issues, you might be better off imo
I lived in vancouver for a few years as a kid, the rain doesnt bother me. I would definitely be going either to van or victoria, lived outside of chilliwack for about 6 months nearly a decade ago (looking after a grow op) and I know it can get quite chilly.

I havent had much "outdoor" experience, mostly couch surfing when I was younger, so that would be one of my biggest hurdles.

I dont have a passport, otherwise I would seriously consider heading south.

Thinking I'll hunkering down till spring, then try tramping around a bit. I appreciate the input!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads