Afterlife and wanderlust | Squat the Planet

Afterlife and wanderlust

WanderLost Radical

Reaction score
I was reading SUM, by David Eagleman, a book made of 40 short stories about what the afterlife might be. One of the last stories is called Search, and even though I don't believe in it, I found it had an interesting view about the afterlife and the origin of wanderlust, and that you guys might be interested. So here it is:

In the moment of transition between life and death, only one thing changes: you lose the momentum of the biochemical cycles that keep the machinery running. In the moment before death, you are still composed of the same thousand trillion trillion atoms as the moment after death - the only difference is that their neighborly network of social interactions has ground to a halt.

At that moment, the atoms begin to drift apart, no longer enslaved to the goals of keeping up a human form. The interacting pieces that once constructed your body begin to unravel like a sweater, each thread spiraling off in a different direction. Following your last breath, those thousand trillion trillion begin to blend into the earth around you. As you degrade, your atoms become incorporated into new constellations: the leaf of a staghorn fern, a speckled snail shell, a kernel of maize, a beetle's mandible, a waxen bloodroot, a ptarmigan's tail feather.

But it turns out your thousand trillion trilliom atoms were not an accidental collection: each was labeled as composing YOU and continues to do so wherever it goes. So you're not gone, you're simply taking on different forms. Instead of your gestures being the raising of an eyebrow or a blown kiss, now a gesture might consist of a rising gnat, a waving wheat stalk, and the inhaling lung of a breaching beluga whale. Your manner of expressing joy might become a seaweed sheet playing on a lapping wave, a pendulous funnel dancing from a cumulonimbus, a flapping grunion birthing, a glossy river pebble glidding around an eddy.

From your present clumped point of view, this afterlife might sound unnervingly distributed. But in fact that is wonderful. You can't imagine the pleasure of stretching your redefined body across vast territories: ruffling your grasses and bending your pine branch and flexing an egret's wings while pushing a crab toward the surface through coruscating shafts of light. Lovemaking reaches heights it could never dream of in the compactness of human corporality. Now you can communicate in many places along your bodies at once; you weave your versatile hands on your lover's multiflorous figure. Your rivers run together. You move in concert as interdigitating creatures of the meadow, entangled vegetation bursting from the fields, caressing weather fronts that climax into thunderstorms.

Just as in your current life, the downside is that you are always in flux. As creatures degrade and your fruits fall and rot, you become capable of new gestures and lose others. Your lover might drift away from you in the migratory flight of tropic birds, a receding stampede of wintering elk, or a creek that quietly pokes its head under the ground and pops up somewhere unknown to you.

Many of your same problems apply: temptation, anguish, anger, distrust, vice - and dont forget the dread arising from free choice. Don't be fooled into believing that plants grow mechanically towards the sun, that birds choose their direction by instinct, that wildebeest migrate by design: in fact, everything is seeking. Your atoms can spread, but they cannot escape the search. A wide distribution does not shield you from wondering how best to spend your time.

Once every few millenia, all your atoms pull together again, travelling from around the globe, like the leaders of nations uniting for a summit, converging for their densest reunion in the form of a human. They are driven by nostalgia to regroup into the tight pinpoint geometry in which they began. In this form they can relish a forgotten sens of holiday-like intimacy. They come together to search for something they once knew but didn't appreciate at the time.
The reunion is warm and heartening for a while, but it isn't long before they begin to miss their freedom. In the form of a human the atoms suffer a claustrophobia of size: gestures are agonizingly limited, restricted to the foundering of tiny limbs. As a condensed human they cannot see around corners, they can only talk within short distances to the nearest ear, they cannot reach out to touch across any meaningful expanses. We are the moment of least facility for the atoms. And in this form, they find themselves longing to ascend mountains, wander the seas, and conquer the air, seeking to recapture the limitless they once knew.

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Last night I responded to someone's comment about the afterlife with this mess;

1671974292870.png

but didn't wanna derail that thread too much so I began searching for a more fitting thread and I discovered this one. I dig it. It's very much so along the lines of what I think about death and the comfort I find in that notion. I think it's a completely worthwhile post and I'm surprised nobody even wanted to talk about it back in 2016 when it appears to have been written. Idk if it's just that I'm closing in on 50 fast or what but I think about death a lot. I'm not afraid of it. In fact I sort of look forward to it in a lot of ways. I guess I just have this idea that death is a beautiful thing. I'm not trying to sound all goth or edgy here, I mean more like harvest time, we kill the plants but they're far from done doing amazing things right? We're alive no different than plants are alive. Does that dead cannabis flower not bring you joy? Does that dead avocado not nourish you? Does that dead tobacco not relax you in times of stress? Did those mushrooms not take you out of a really bad headspace?

I've had opportunities to do DMT before, and I decided that I'm going to save that experience and make it my last conscious experience. Or so I assume anyway, I really have no fucking clue what becomes of consciousness when we die. But DMT trips sound rad and I'm pretty sold on the Rick Strassman theory that our brains secrete a heroic dose of DMT as we die. So that's when I'll take my DMT trip. Don't get me wrong I'm still terrified of death too, but not at all in terms of "omg I'm so terrified that it will all just end and it'll be lights out/game over forever". That part doesn't scare me at all because I see it playing out a lot like OP has written above. I'm just scared of the how. How will I die. There's some pretty gnarly ways to get taken out. All I can do is hope my death isn't one of those, like drowning or burning to death.

Fuck I mean even if I manage to tumble naked down a reeeeeeaaaaallly long slide of napalm fire and razor blades, that shit was fleeting I'm sure. I just hope that when it comes for me, my friends and family don't mourn too much over it. That's literally the only aspect of death that I dread, the thought of my loved ones experiencing sorrow. I'm sure there's several people here already who would celebrate my death, lol. I hope my loved ones celebrate it too. I think it's gonna be dope. Just don't leave my ass in a fucking urn. Scatter me somewhere along this creek where it's lush and I'll be back in the flora in no time!

born2raizehell

owen mooney
Reaction score
sounds like youre on to something for sure... thats aside all the music and songs making death sound as ominous as possible. I think no matter how it can be an ideal to endure a natural cycle that your soul is still bound to have to work above all serving the system, god or the dark lord. somebody said death and taxes are certain yet I see nowadays theyre keeping the dead alive on behalf of taxes being payed.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads