Guide / Tutorial affordable tri-folding bikes now available

ali

Reaction score
Alright, it's done, i bought a goddamn foldie. There's millions of them here in Asia, although almost all of them are the bi-fold type that are still pretty large. Bi-folds (Tern, Dahon etc) are definitely small enough to casually chuck into a car boot or in the luggage compartment of a long-distance bus, which could be quite useful cycling around a country attached to a large continent, but i live on a tropical island where all travel starts with a plane flight, so couldn't be sold on a cheap folding bike that i would anyway have to check as oversize luggage/sports equipment or else dismantle entirely just to fit it into a suitcase (that's the dirty secret of the Bike Friday). All that extra faffing about, you might as well just put your full size bike on the plane or buy/rent on the other end imo.

But there are bikes that are small enough to be wrapped up in an Ikea bag and checked as regular luggage, ready to immediately unfold and start riding on the other end. The keyword to search for is tri-fold, or 三摺車 (TW/HK)/三摺车 (CN/SG). Used to just be the Brompton and the Birdy that did it, both of which cost a fortune. I looked at the Tern BYB since it's a local brand and would prefer to support local business, but although it's smaller than the standard bi-folds, it'd still be awkwardly large to put on a plane imo. There's a hard-shell suitcase you can buy to go with it, but what's an unconventional traveler going to do with a hard-shell suitcase? Not like you're tipping a porter to keep an eye on your bag while you pootle around the resort or whatever.

The good news is that the Brompton patent expired a few years ago, and now there is a flood of clones that are all much, much cheaper and use the same folding mechanism to get really tiny. There are lots of brands - 3sixty, Pike, Mint, Litepro, Royale, Cranston... A guy in Singapore called Liaoge has tested a bunch of them and then commissioned one of the factories to build his own branded ones that look to have all kinds of useful tweaks. Check him out on YouTube - he's a salesman, but he also comes across legit excited about having fun with folding bikes.

All these folders come in well under us$1000, some of them are us$500, which sounds like a lot of money until you look at how much Bromptons and Birdys go for. Looks like you can pick them up in bike stores all over SE Asia (Vietnam, Thailand, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan) plus probably also in China too, but if you're not traveling in this part of the world then Aliexpress/Alibaba is your friend.

Today i bought a 20" tri-fold with disc brakes and a 9-speed on the back, everything is standard parts. Took it for a 40km ride straight out of the shop and it goes pretty sweet. I replaced the pedals immediately with metal ones instead of the plastic ones which looked a bit flimsy, but most of the other components look alright.

IMG_20240811_155016.jpg

I'll update more over the next little while as i take it on longer adventures with more stuff. I'm housed up now so won't be full-ass living on a bike, but i still travel pretty low-end even when it's only a few weeks at a time so hopefully will have some interesting tips for the StP bike gang.

Colinleath

Reaction score
Website
colinleath.github.io
Great to hear about the Brompton patent expiring and the decent new versions/ copies!

I've been meeting more long time happy Brompton users and was thinking of trying folding ones myself.

Decathlon makes a decent one, though it doesn't fold as small, but small enough I think to get on most busses and high speed trains with it.

Also there is a long time and well traveled credit card Brompton cyclist who traveled the world for both his civil engineering projects or some other consulting and his bicycle touring who posted occasionally to one of the older fb bike touring groups and had an interesting web site or blog somewhere too.

I'm currently traveling with someone riding a Brompton and one helpful tip for you is that the rhino bags you get in a set for 60 USD or maybe less are short enough to work on the rear rack.

You'll have issues with them dragging a bit off-pavement like when finding a place in the forest to stay.

And my friend has no kick stand which has been a hassle. If you find or have a good one for your Brompton knockoff, I'm curious!

ali

Reaction score
I have the 20" Rhino bag on order for carrying the bike. My hope is that i'll be able to cycle to the airport, chuck my bike in the bag and surround it with clothes and whatnot, then just check that bag and ride out of the airport at the other end. I'm also hoping that i can figure out a way to strap the small waterproof pack i already have on the back. That plus front bag should be plenty of carry space. Here on StP a while back someone linked a video showing how to strap a backpack on a Brompton: Luggage on a Brompton for Touring - https://www.bromptontraveler.com/2013/09/backpack-on-brompton.html

Weight limit is 105kg on this model, which is more than enough for credit card travel, but if your sleep system is 5kg should still be fine for full-time travelers under 80kg. Since the bike itself is around 13kg and you're gonna be carrying it from time to time, you don't want to be traveling with a ton of extra weight anyway.

My main concern going off-road with this one is that the derailleur hangs really low. Pedals hanging low is manageable if you just wanna weave the bike around some bushes, but snag a derailleur and you fucked it. On the other hand, way easier to carry it over, not so much the weight but just the size makes it easier to maneuver than a regular bike.

I don't like my chances of finding a stand. People who aren't touring don't bother with stands because if you flip the back wheel it stands itself up on the rear rack, but if you have something strapped on the rear rack what do you do? Guy at the bike store said "just unhook your bag first", but come on, really? One thing i like about the Liaoge 888 model is that it comes with stand from the factory, but i wasn't game to order it sight unseen from Singapore, especially not when i could walk into a brick and mortar store here in Taiwan and actually trial a bunch, pay and ride out same day. It's on my list of stuff to find, though, along with a bell and better grips so i don't need to worry so much about leaning my elbows on the handlebars and slipping off when it's humid AF.

If you don't care about taking it on a plane, i think bi-fold bikes are fine. There are loads of those that seem designed to take a lot more punishment than tri-fold bikes, e.g. cargo and utility models that people here haul gas tanks or children around on. The thing with the tri-fold (at least Brompton style) is all the "sensitive" gear gets folded into the middle so it seems a bit more protected (although there are still some parts i'm worried about like gear shifter, rear rack mini-wheels and possibly rear brake disc), the bi-folds seem more about just getting them convenient sized for carrying under your arm than turning into a package that can be bagged and bashed around independently.

MetalBryan

Reaction score
Hey that's a sweet ride! I love it when we get folding bikes in the shop. I bought one years ago which was a dream, but alas I was over the weight limit. 230lbs sounds about right... you can't just beef the wheels up like on a steel bike because the folding mech is a consideration too... but a hand-built wheel with a high spoke count in the rear would a long way to support the rear. We've got a set of 20" disc brake wheels made specifically for downhill mountain biking that seem bomb proof. The money people will spend on high end kids bikes is insane.

This is such a cool bike I'm jealous. We just got one in the shop (bi-fold Dahon) so it's been on my mind. Somebody upgraded to these tires for touring and Schwable is having a sale now (at least in the US) >>> these are great, puncture resistant tires. Marathon | GreenGuard | Black-Reflex | 20x1.50 | Addix | 11100148 - https://www.schwalbetires.com/Marathon-11100148

I wonder if you could get a chainstay mount kickstand for this thing? ( example: Kickstand - Chainstay Mount (SWB) - https://jonesbikes.com/kickstand-chainstay-mount-swb/) You could take it off when you pack for the plane. I was also wondering if a single hole bash guard that feeds through the quick release would fit to protect the rear derailleur? (example : Rear Derailleur Protector | Flippo | leoguarbikes - https://leoguarbikes.com/products/rear-derailleur-protector). I tried to imagine this stuff on the bike using just the pic but I ain't that good of a mechanic.

If I stopped drinking beer, I could probably ride one of these hahaha. Thanks for the report!

ali

Reaction score
Today i went on a 100km circle tour to continue putting the bike through its paces. Still no real mountains, but a couple hundred meters steepish climb and a bit of rugged industrial zone, gravel and sand. I think the bike held up okay, although there is some of clicking or knocking sound i need to figure out what it is. I suspect it's the derailleur being a bit out or the chain a being a bit loose. Too tired to figure it out right now. There's also some creaking and squeaking, but squeak is the front brake (need a tiny alignment) and creak just seems to be the right pedal so no biggie. Seat post held strong after i tightened the grip a bit. I might drop by the bike shop to see what they think before doing another long one. I'd like to do a weekend/overnight trip next with a bit more gear strapped on.

I took some photos so you can see exactly what you're working with when you get one of these small bikes.

Derailleur height:

IMG_20240818_113402.jpg

Derailleur position when folded:

IMG_20240818_161415.jpg

This is actually a tad closer to the wheel than it ought to be, because you're supposed to fold it in one of the small gears. Oops. No space for a protector anyway. On the other hand, this is the gimmick of these bikes, the chain is folded into the middle when it's closed, so in theory all the sensitive stuff is protected and you don't have an oily chain dangling on the outside to mess up your clothes. (Don't worry, i still managed to get oil on my shirt because fuck of course i did.)

IMG_20240818_104103.jpg

This is with just the back wheel folded in, so the bike balances on its own, on the rear rack.

IMG_20240818_160019.jpg

If you get a 16" version, you can actually push it around like this and steer with the front handlebars, but with 20" there isn't space to turn the front wheel so you have to lift a bit if you want to push it round.

Most of the stands you can buy online have a plate that connects to the bolt going through the rear hub and the rack. I'm not convinced about the stability, but they're cheap enough i suppose i could buy one and if it doesn't work then i can just use it as a brace under the saddle to mount my backpack (see the link above about how to strap a backpack on a small bike).

Anyway, today was a pretty hard thrashing, much as it could be without going offroad or climbing a full-ass mountain. We'll see if the cheapie Chinese components hold up over the next few trips. I know you get what you pay for, but also fuck paying 4-6 months rent for a bicycle, i'll take my chances. As far as general riding comfort goes, i think it's fine. It's not fast and unless you're short you're not gonna get a full leg extension, but it's definitely not uncomfortable. Handles gravel and smaller bumps just fine. Looks like a BMX but doesn't feel like riding one at all.

Colinleath

Reaction score
Website
colinleath.github.io
I finally might have a connection good enough to share the photo of my friend's bike.
1000058811.jpg

I'll try to find the link to the bags she got. They have a little rhino logo.

She carries two hiking poles. And uses those to support the bike in the forest and sometimes in town.

Similar to the "clickstand" concept. I've been using a single hiking pole or just a tree branch or other piece of wood to help support my bike at night. it's like my nightstand when I'm in my hammock.

Bag link on Amazon.fr:

BAIGIO 75L 3 en 1 Sacoche

63 EUR New but
She got a returned set for 40 or so.

I'm sure this is on AliExpress too! Probably under varying brand names.

Last edited:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads