A very short story on why you should respect freight trains

The Toecutter

The Patron Saint of Filth
Reaction score
Train hopping is perhaps the cheapest way possible to get around long distances. I've never tried it, but I've always wanted to and the guides here are excellent. Anyhow, I have a story which was told to me that is not for the squeamish. If you are squeamish, or an animal lover, you may not want to read this very short story. You've been warned. This is your chance to stop reading. Scroll down below for the story.

My step mother grew up in the 1960s. When she was about 7, she saw a slow-moving freight train riding by her house at roughly walking speed. There was a large dog, possibly a German Shepherd mix, having fun running back and forth in-between the train cars, like it was a game. The dog kept running back and forth for the next minute or so having fun and enjoying the game.

All of a sudden, there was a deafening and shrill yelping, the dog's way of screaming out in agony, as she could see the front of the dog laying 100 or so feet away between where she was standing and next to the still-moving train, entrails hanging about, and the back half of the dog, entirely missing. It continued yelping for about two minutes or so before bleeding out and finally dying. The train engineer would not have been able to stop the train, even if he wanted to. In all likelihood, the engineer had zero indication that the train killed anything or anyone at all, since the train kept on rolling. After the train passed, there was half of a dog carcass. The back half of the dog was missing entirely. She recounted to me that this was the most disturbing thing she had ever witnessed. The train kept on moving.

While I did not witness this first hand and this occurred more than half of a century ago, there is a valuable lesson to be learned. The moral of the story is: respect trains. DON'T be that dog.

The Toecutter

Reaction score
Indeed. The freight train can have so much mass that it could be moving 1/10th of a mile per hour or about 1/30th walking speed, and have more momentum and more kinetic energy than a Ferrari travelling 200 mph. It's not going to stop for anything. I'm sure there are a large number of stories to tell scattered about within the collective knowledge base of this site, that haven't been publicized because of how hurtful they are to recount. Probably many painful/traumatic memories to go with those stories.

The guide on this site to train hopping finally convinced me to give it up as a bucket list item. It sounds like my idea of fun, but without any necessity to engage in it, it's not worth the risk. If I were broke and needed to travel long distances, that might change my mind, but I have zero experience doing so, thus making it even more risky a proposition than to someone who is seasoned at train hopping.

Oriyrio

Reaction score
Indeed. The freight train can have so much mass that it could be moving 1/10th of a mile per hour or about 1/30th walking speed, and have more momentum and more kinetic energy than a Ferrari travelling 200 mph. It's not going to stop for anything. I'm sure there are a large number of stories to tell scattered about within the collective knowledge base of this site, that haven't been publicized because of how hurtful they are to recount. Probably many painful/traumatic memories to go with those stories.

The guide on this site to train hopping finally convinced me to give it up as a bucket list item. It sounds like my idea of fun, but without any necessity to engage in it, it's not worth the risk. If I were broke and needed to travel long distances, that might change my mind, but I have zero experience doing so, thus making it even more risky a proposition than to someone who is seasoned at train hopping.

Personally with only a small amount of experience and for what i've heard with the east coast & Midwest the west coast is the best most consistent way to train hop. Risk to Reward Ratio in the east is simply to high for me with the east coast, to many rail lines to learn and too much time having a mentor. if you just want a bucket list item just find a mentor tbh tons of train kids waiting in roseville, California and other big rail hubs

Reactions: NamelessExistence

Gooseman

Reaction score
+1. As someone who has experience working for a rail road, even I am have been reluctant to pursue the train hoping lifestyle. It sounds wonderful, free, and romantic but I know trains. All it takes is one slip. If I ever decide to do this, I don't think I'll ever get on/off a train that is moving. I know that means I'll miss out on lots of opportunities but this definitely falls into the 'better safe than sorry' area, IMO.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
When I was in high school, I had a friend come back from NOLA with one less leg and half a hand. Dude was a semi-famous punk guitarist in the band Wreck13...not anymore. Jumped in a 53 without a floor.

Train hopping is probably the most dangerous activity I've ever been a part of. It tops rock climbing, canyoneering, and working around helicopters. Dont fuck with trains. Especiallly if you don't know what you are doing.

This message is brought to you by Operation Lifesaver.

The Toecutter

Reaction score
When I was in high school, I had a friend come back from NOLA with one less leg and half a hand. Dude was a semi-famous punk guitarist in the band Wreck13...not anymore. Jumped in a 53 without a floor.

Train hopping is probably the most dangerous activity I've ever been a part of. It tops rock climbing, canyoneering, and working around helicopters. Dont fuck with trains. Especiallly if you don't know what you are doing.

This message is brought to you by Operation Lifesaver.

I like to cuddle rattlesnakes kept as pets. IMO, that's much safer than train hopping. I'm more confident that I'm not going to lose a limb with the rattlesnake than the train. Maybe if I ever do try train hopping, it might change my mind, assuming I do it unscathed.

31rYo2C.jpg

My little Nippy never so much as attempted to strike at anyone, whereas a train will always be trying to kill me. At least that's the way I look at it.

A rattler would make for an interesting ride-along buddy though, but only when the weather is conducive. If not, you'll have to put him under your shirt/coat to keep warm. That could be a long ride, especially if vibrations make them nervous.

sevedemanos

Reaction score
the real danger is gang activity. granted there are those that just arent kinesthetically inclined. some are better at other shtt, but bottom line there are people out there that think its ok to team up just for the sake of throwing somebody off a train. the true danger of riding freight is being seen.

its why i refuse to ride certain lines. many. in my greenhorn days i was just lucky — in love with an ex and suicidal.

stay down. too many riders think of it as a boast and get cocky / scene-kid-ish. dont.

stay humble.

Last edited:

TheDesertMouse

Reaction score
I’ve never encountered this rail gang phenomenon, and frankly I’ve never met anyone who has, I hear it told every few years tho… IDK seems blown up to me.

In my opinion train riding is very similar to climbing, or any other dangerous hobby. In that its as dangerous as you make it. Make good decisions, follow some basic safetey precautions and don't let yourself get complacent, and you’ll be fine.

The adrenalin still pumps for me and I get nervous jumping on or off while moving. But other then that I’m feel very comfortable around them. I’m always trying to be concious of potential dangers,hop sober, walk carefully around the tracks, stay alert, choose rides carefully, NEVER go under the train for any reason, maintain 3 points of contact, choreograph my movements on the train to be ready for slack action at any time ect.

Hobeau

Reaction score
Train hopping is perhaps the cheapest way possible to get around long distances. I've never tried it, but I've always wanted to and the guides here are excellent. Anyhow, I have a story which was told to me that is not for the squeamish. If you are squeamish, or an animal lover, you may not want to read this very short story. You've been warned. This is your chance to stop reading. Scroll down below for the story.

My step mother grew up in the 1960s. When she was about 7, she saw a slow-moving freight train riding by her house at roughly walking speed. There was a large dog, possibly a German Shepherd mix, having fun running back and forth in-between the train cars, like it was a game. The dog kept running back and forth for the next minute or so having fun and enjoying the game.

All of a sudden, there was a deafening and shrill yelping, the dog's way of screaming out in agony, as she could see the front of the dog laying 100 or so feet away between where she was standing and next to the still-moving train, entrails hanging about, and the back half of the dog, entirely missing. It continued yelping for about two minutes or so before bleeding out and finally dying. The train engineer would not have been able to stop the train, even if he wanted to. In all likelihood, the engineer had zero indication that the train killed anything or anyone at all, since the train kept on rolling. After the train passed, there was half of a dog carcass. The back half of the dog was missing entirely. She recounted to me that this was the most disturbing thing she had ever witnessed. The train kept on moving.

While I did not witness this first hand and this occurred more than half of a century ago, there is a valuable lesson to be learned. The moral of the story is: respect trains. DON'T be that dog.

Don't try to ride unless you have someone to greenhorn you.
People die every year out here.
And they all thought they were the special one that nothing would happen to.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads