Where to Find a K-9 Companion? | Squat the Planet

Where to Find a K-9 Companion?

Nomadic Wolf

Reaction score
Dogs have almost alway been a part of my life. Lately I find myself thinking more and more of how great it would be if I had a dog with me on the road. I have seen a lot of talk on these forums about how to take care of your pouch, but nothing about where to actually get one. As most of us travelers, I don't have money to spare, so pet shops are out of the question. I have considered animal rescues such as the Humane Society, but I am not quite sure what their policies are on signing a dog over to some traveler without a house or job. My last hope would be finding a stray or someone giving out puppies. The problem is that in those rare cases you really have no choice as far as which breed of dog you get. Ideally I would be able to obtain a German or Australian Shepherd as a companion, but I would be happy simply getting any dog young enough to train, so long as it is not some you breed.

Any insight as far as where and how to get a K-9 companion is very much appreciated.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Keep me in mind - I run into pups and young traveling dogs that need a new home over at another site I moderate. PM me your facebook name and we will go from there. I have a rescued shepherd - about 75 lbs now who has issues from her early traveling life (hitcing, trainhopping) - the bf wanted to keep her after we some unsuccessful fostering with her but she's here and she's big. Some of the dogs I'm seeing out there available as puppies or rehoused are pitty mixed.

Also - where are you? (pm me that as well)

Hylyx

Reaction score
People often put pupperses up for adoption on Craigslist, and Craigslist has a cool anti-puppy mill policy where no one listing pets can charge for them.

• Useful
Reactions: Nomadic Wolf
D

Deleted member 9462

Found my bb in east texas as a stray. Plenty strays down there. Hard to adopt when you homeless. It was serendipitous to say the least.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads