Where can I find a free sleeping mat?

Reaction score
Don't have any fundz for a cell foam/yoga matt/etc for sleeping on. Already posted online for something nobody wants. Thinking of using cardboard, but don't even have wool blanket for insulation. Thought of also dumpster diving for one. Anybody know where to find/get for free?

K

Kim Chee

I paid for my sleeping pad, it was only 10USD at a military surplus store.
Cardboard is free and nearly everywhere. It is clean and has a
smell that puts me to sleep every time and dream good dreams.
Cardboard is magical, never forget. Blankets are easy to find cheap
or free even. As important as bedding is, I can gather what I need in about
10-15 minutes in virtually any city. It is far down on the list of things I
concern myself with, you can probably sweat these items less as well.

Where to sleep is often more difficult for me than what to sleep on.

Reaction score
I paid for my sleeping pad, it was only 10USD at a military surplus store.
Cardboard is free and nearly everywhere. It is clean and has a
smell that puts me to sleep every time and dream good dreams.
Cardboard is magical, never forget. Blankets are easy to find cheap
or free even. As important as bedding is, I can gather what I need in about
10-15 minutes in virtually any city. It is far down on the list of things I
concern myself with, you can probably sweat these items less as well.

Where to sleep is often more difficult for me than what to sleep on.

The place I want to squat is in the back porch with cement ground. I don't think sleeping on cardboard alone will do me any good :( been trying to get shit for free from friends, but nothing yet. I' get cold too easily as it is.

benjysirois

Professional knob twiddler and sound anarchist
Reaction score
The place I want to squat is in the back porch with cement ground. I don't think sleeping on cardboard alone will do me any good :( been trying to get shit for free from friends, but nothing yet. I' get cold too easily as it is.

Stack that cardboard! It's also super insulating. You can also usually find those poncho style blankets at value village for relatively cheap as well. They hold a lot of heat I find and are nice to sleep on. Wool is your best friend for your top blanket. Old DND wool blankets are so comfy and warm if you don't get itchy from wool. You can find them at Military Surplus stores.

In the end though...Some nights are gonna be hard. You're gonna be cold and the ground's gonna be firm and rough; maybe even rocky and bumpy. Black flies too in North Ontario if that's where you're at these days. You just gotta deal with what you've got.

Reactions: West
K

Kim Chee

Try furniture/mattress store dumpster. You may even find a mattress. The rental places use disposable covers which are comfy (may have to keep going back to score one of these).

Thorne

Stuck and stagnant
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.houselessnothomeless.org
Yes. Cardboard, wonderful cardboard. I agree w/ michael, it is everywhere and can easily be stacked and makes for great installation. It may not seem like it, but a matt can be weight wasted. It may only be a pound or two, but at least from my personal standpoint, I prefer to travel as lightly as possible. If you have a good sleeping bag, a wool blanket and a tarp (this was my bedroll kit) you should be fine.

Thorne

Stuck and stagnant
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.houselessnothomeless.org
tarps provide excellent insulation and can protect you from insects also easily obtained.

Yeah, you can do so many things w/ a good tarp. Make a shelter, wrap up like a burrito to stay dry, lay on top of it, and a ton of other things. It's a good thing to have.

Reactions: Desperado Deluxe

Kal

Reaction score
Lots and lots of cardboard is a good thing and free.

VikingAdventurer

Guardian of the Knowledge of the Wastes
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com

VikingAdventurer

Guardian of the Knowledge of the Wastes
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Seriously though, I've seen these in person; a few friends of mine had them. They're lightweight, waterproof, washable, and super durable. They also keep you about 1/4 - 1/2 inch OFF THE GROUND, which means they also keep you DRY...

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
Seriously though, I've seen these in person; a few friends of mine had them. They're lightweight, waterproof, washable, and super durable. They also keep you about 1/4 - 1/2 inch OFF THE GROUND, which means they also keep you DRY...
I've seen them too they sometimes give them away at the bumfeeds here. I don't have one but they are awesome. I've even seen them with designs like crosses made into them. And they're uber comfy [emoji12]

• Useful
Reactions: VikingAdventurer

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads