what I plan on packing. Need to cut some. Suggestions?

Strider

Reaction score
Revised list.
Actually in the bag

Clothes (what I'm wearing is included)

• 1 pair jeans
  • 1 simshorts
  • 2 pair thermal shirts
  • 1 pair t shrts
  • 2 ife beaters
  • 3 pair boxer briefs
  • 10 pair socks
  • insulated jacket
  • 1 poncho
  • 1 hat
  • 1 beanie
2. Cooking/food

• small pot/lid
  • can stove
  • fork and spoon
  • can opener
  • couple ramens
  • bag of jerkey
  • jar of peanut butter
3. First aid

• Bandages
  • Gauze
  • Rubbing alcohol(also as fuel for can stove)
  • Neosporin
4. Sleeping situation

• 10x10 tarp
  • 100 feet para chord
  • compressible sleeping bag
5. Repairs

• sewing needles
  • floss
  • duct tape around a pencil
6. Toiletries

• buttwipes in ziploc
  • toothbrush/paste
  • bar of soap
7. Random stuff

• Two liter water skin
  • Journal
  • Batteries
  • couple books
  • headlamp
  • tin whistle
  • 2 trashbags
  • Battery razor
On my person

• small camera
  • pen
  • sharpie
  • fixed blade knife
  • large swiss army knife
  • lighter
  • smokes
  • bud
  • pipe
  • rolling papers
  • work gloves
  • 3 bandanas
  • condoms
  • passport
  • phone
  • glasses
  • phone charger
  • wire cutter
  • Guitar wrapped in bubble wrap in hard case.

Strider

Reaction score
Sorry posted it 2 times

C

Cree

Strider, much better! few more things you can dump also. Phone have a camera dump the small camera, wire cutters? 1 knife should be fine whichever 1 you want. can opener? unless it's a P38 or P51 scrap it. Rubbing alcohol? get a few packs of
alcohol swabs then when you need fuel to eat stop at any walmart and go to the auto department and get a bottle of HEET(yellow bottle) burns way better than rubbing alcohol. oh and chances are you won't need the thermals for a few months. other than that you did a good job at downsizing!

Strider

Reaction score
The P's?

Hylyx

Reaction score
If you can, just get a leatherman (I got mine at a pawn shop for cheap) and ditch the single-serving tools. Mine has a can opener that works way better than the Ps, wire cutters, scissors, 2 knives, etc. (though I do carry a seperate folder with me).
I was also +1 on a pair of long johns, I have a pair of polar tec fleece tights that a friend kicked down and they are fucking amazing.
Other than that looks good! and yes, definitely test out walking a few miles/living out of your pack to see how you feel.

Reactions: Killjoy

kecleon

Reaction score
I would try out the tarp first. They're seriously inconvenient somettimess. Some people make the tarp work and it's a romantic idea and old school. But me I'd rather a light tent or bivi any day. If you've used it before cool.

Also the water skin you've got, I had one of those, made by platypus, and it leaked like fuck all over my bag soaking my clothes and leaving me with barely and water. So now I hate those fucking things and carry a cheap plastic bottle that you buy water in.

• Useful
Reactions: Strider
K

Kim Chee

Also the water skin you've got, I had one of those, made by platypus, and it leaked like fuck all over my bag soaking my clothes and leaving me with barely and water. So now I hate those fucking things and carry a cheap plastic bottle that you buy water in.

image.jpg

32 OZ, wide mouth, free all day in the trash, semi-collapsible, won't leak unless you cross thread it and did I say you can get it in the trash FOR FREE? I can't imagine why I'd ever pay for something to hold water.

Sip

Reaction score
I've made a sling out of cord before and wrapped it around the top and bottom of the Gatorade bottle. Then you can put it around your neck and let it rest on your hip. It looks weird as fuck but is more convenient than carrying or taking out of your pack all the time.

Reactions: Strider

enocifer

Reaction score
Website
vids.myspace.com
I'm a musician... I much prefer softshell gig bags overt hard cases. They're so much radier to carry. Also, you don't need a pad to sleep on... just sleep on the ground and concrete, dig in dumsters for cardboard to lay down under your bag. One hoodie, one warm coat. Good point on the not needing a tarp AND a tent... a tent can function as one. Might ditch my tarp now.

Reaction score
Website
www.sebastianballard.blogspot.com
I would highly recommend some goldbond footpowder if you are going to be doing any significant amount of walking/hiking. That stuff seriously saves your feet. Besides that I have packed pretty much everything you have on your revised list. Source-1 year in Afghanistan rucking all over the damn country.

Reactions: Rob Nothing

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads