what do you cook with? | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

what do you cook with?

Dameon

Reaction score
I just carry a tiny pot, and some aluminum foil, and only cook when there's a fire handy. You people and your fancy stoves...

I did actually at one time have the Vargo Titanium Triad, which is like a really fancy beercan stove, and served me pretty well. I also had the same Snowpeak cookware Widerstand has, plus a titanium spork, which made for an awesome super lightweight titanium cook set.

menu

Reaction score
I used the titanium triad as well. got it at a flea market in WY. great fucking deals up there if you guys can make it. plus its light and effective. also try army surplus stores. they always have cheap light effective shit.

menu

Reaction score
but I usually roll with shit that doesnt need to be cooked. canned food has been my life force for many moons. although its better warm Im just not too picky

stove

Reaction score
The OP mentioned a fire pit with two holes and a tunnel between them: It's called a Dakota Fire Hole, and if you've got a few people or a lot of food to cook, it's badass. Basically it lets the fire burn slightly underground, and the light from it can't be seen unless you're mad close. Used to be used by (surprise!) the Dakota natives on the flat ground.

I usually use an alky stove, taught a bunch of folks how to make them at a Euro hitching gathering last year (hence the name). They are great to burn anything alcohol-based (rubbing alk, moonshine, line anti-freeze, etc). If you add a pinch of salt (or dirt...) to the alk, the flame takes on a yellowish tint, and isn't nearly as dangerous as the (almost) invisible flame.

Reactions: p4r4d0x

Shoestring

Professional Hobo
Banned
Reaction score
Rolling, empty boxcars to Sioux Falls, South Dakot
Website
www.youtube.com
That's called a "Prarrie Dog" stove!
They cook awesomly good too!!!
just interested to see peoples take on cooking equipment

i met a guy who cooked by making 2 holes and a "tunnel" between them and making a fire down the hole, was really effective and the fire burned well into the night.

i myself use a woodburner made from what used to be a tin of pineapples and 2 billy cans

what do you use?

Shoestring

Professional Hobo
Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
That's ironic that you posted that!
I use the "Prarrie Dog" stove a lot. When the geography prevents me from making one of those, I usually will just take three rail-plates and place these one next to another like a U shape. Take and cook between this. After the coals have gone down, I can bake cornbread in between these, I'll have to take a picture to explain it though.....(Too hard to explain how the set-up looks like without a photo)......

Dmac

Reaction score
sorry shoestring, he is right it is a dakota hole. pain in the ass to set up, but you loose very little of the heat from the fire, plus you can put potatoes or yams etc, in the draw (air tunnel) AND THEY HEAT UP REAL FAST. plus, besides being very eficient, there is less chance of starting a prarie/forest fire with one. if ya dig the fire pit, right, a cook pan fits perfectly on top.

Shoestring

Professional Hobo
Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Don't be sorry "dmac66". It just depends on where you're at when you first see one. (Still the same thing).
"Ka Bar" down in Houston likes to use these too, that's also what he'd called it as well, so Dakota Hole or Prarrie Dog stove, both the same stove we're posting about.......Just in case somebody hears either name now, they'll know they're the same type stove.
They do indeed cook righteous!!!
(I did'nt even notice "Dakota Stove" cause it did'nt grab my eye).
sorry shoestring, he is right it is a dakota hole.

Uncle Stinky

Old Dog--Can't See, Can't Hear, And Right In The D
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Don't never travel with nobody that says they're gonna grease your Dakota Hole...

Nope, don't do it, huh-uh...

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
ive cooked with an altoids can, rice, beans, and polluted creek water. it didnt work very well and the sickness i got from the creek nearly killed me. lesson learned!

Chro

Reaction score
I never have been traveling, but my years in the BSA had a good amount of treks and we always used small propane stoves, and they CAN take a beating, if you fall just check your can and if it is dented/ect chuck it and get a new can, they are like 3 bucks and last a good long time. The only downside to propane is if the can is damaged and you have to ditch it, then your out a cooking stove until you get a new can of propane, but hey, fire is free.

If not just use a metal can of sorts, and use a 9volt battery+steel wool to start the fire.

Richard57

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
ive been reading some of these ideas, and they are awesome.
but why not a regular fire? or is this just an alternative for like city areas and stuff with no wood?

dirty_rotten_squatter

Reaction score
take another coffee can and cut the bottom off about inch and half or two w/e for last resort frying pan, iv cut one once but didnt cut it all the way across left a strip going upwards to make a handel

oh yeah and uhmm some cans have that wierd coating in them, you can just boil water and boil it off or burn it off, works pretty good, lighter then any frying pan, when it starts to wear down.. there aint no lack of coffee cans around

fryingpan.jpg

Nice I never though of that one thanks!

wartomods

Reaction score
metal can with holes, wood broom inside it, fire it up, put something on top of the can

Lint

Reaction score
Reactions: p4r4d0x

Lint

Reaction score
Forgot to mention the infamous Wal-Mart "grease pot"! Titanium is pricey, steel is heavy, but the Wally World aluminum grease pot is light weight and cheap. I've seen plenty of backpackers use these over the years.

And if you're cooking with wood, an easy firestarter trick is to rub a little petroleum jelly (Vaseline) on a bunch of cotton balls. Store them in a ziplock baggie until needed, then pull one out, light it and watch it burn and ignite your tiny pile of tinder. In wet conditions this helps a lot for stubborn wet wood.

Reactions: paterdot

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
wow. good idea. has anyone every tried the fancy fire starting chemicals like you see on survivorman?

BananaPhuck

Reaction score
I have a stainless steel water bottle that I have poured a can of soup into, and warmed it up over a fire. I'm thinking of heading out soon, and was wondering how many people actually use stoves.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads