Throw tent and tarp? | Squat the Planet

Throw tent and tarp?

ydnalein

Reaction score
I thought about a throw-tent and 2 tarps as padding and rain protechtion. But i never saw this in the forum. Is there a reason for it?

Lefty

Reaction score
Is that like one of those instant pop-up tents? They look pretty neat online but have never actually seen someone use one. I have never carried a tent, but am thinking about getting the Eureka Solitare... Idk much about throw tents, are they packable and durable? Main reason i havent invested in one is i dont want to have to worry about shock cords breaking and extra weight.

Reactions: ydnalein

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
Is that like one of those instant pop-up tents? They look pretty neat online but have never actually seen someone use one. I have never carried a tent, but am thinking about getting the Eureka Solitare... Idk much about throw tents, are they packable and durable? Main reason i havent invested in one is i dont want to have to worry about shock cords breaking and extra weight.
eureka is the shiznit the shock cords will last a long time. All i carry is a tarp im tired of the extra weight when i hardly use it. Those pop up tents just dont seem weather proof

Reactions: Lefty
D

Deleted member 2626

Backing on the eureka solitaire. My buddy uses one and I have the two man version for me and my dog. With guitar and pack and gear and pooch there is plenty of room. Tarp underneath

K

kokomojoe

Isn't it tough to build up everyday?
I traveled with someone who had one and I asked him the same thing, he said when you do it often enough it's pretty quick to put up and take down. I wouldn't want to deal with one personally but after it rains a shit ton and everywhere is soaked, it was nice to setup and have a completely dry spot where with a tarp it'd be a little more difficult to keep as dry. I have bungee cords and a tarp and I can make it work.

D

Deleted member 2626

I've appreciated my tent in rain quite a few times. Its extra weight compared to a tarp but damn its nice to be able to sit up in there and stretch out and do shit. Nice and cozy

Ranger

Reaction score
Those pop tents are crap, bulky and heavy, wont keep you dry in heavy rain... Hard to set up a backpacking tent? You do realise most have two poles that just cross right? Takes me 2 minutes to put one up...

Ranger

Reaction score
Some have 3 poles to afford more headroom, any tent that needs a tarp to stay dry isn't worth its weight. Don't get me wrong I carry a tarp but its not to cover my tent. More often now I just bring a Bivy and Poncho set up.

Last edited:

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
Im pretty happy with what i have now wich is an 6x8 tarp, Medium modular sleeping bag, and pilates mat cut down to size for weight. All in one roll.
Use the tarp to make an a frame between two trees or rock with paracord stake the grommets in the tarp or weight it. Try to guy one of the edges to another tree or stake to deflect water and make at entrance. The mat keeps me off the ground and the sleeping bag is water repellant.

rooster831

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
i have a tent now, but not the dank one i used to have though

storm break 2 by north face

full rain fly, aluminum poles, taped seams, full weight was 5 lbs

didn't put it up every night, only when it rained (and i couldn't find adequate shelter) or near water cause fuck skeeter bites

got to stinkin pretty bad but it was still water proof, even after a year of use and abuse

ironman

Reaction score
My spot

Attachments

• IMG_20161221_075334.jpg
    IMG_20161221_075334.jpg
    469.9 KB · Views: 401
Reactions: pewpew and ydnalein

pewpew

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I carry one really really huge tarp i got from REI and a 2 person Sierra tent (just in case ;)). I like the tarp for cool nights when its not so windy either. The tent is worth having if youre going thru a really windy area and dont feel like being wrapped up like a burrito, plus i like to wake up and have a smoke in the middle of the night so a tent works for me. During the summer, tent all the way because of critters and bugs. I think both are worth carrying tho.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads