slabcity.org is a scam!

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
has he ever even been there?

apparently he visited once back in the early 2000's. he's had no involvement with the place, ever.

Doughnut

Reaction score
So Matt: Not sure if you were aware (or if you care), but this guy is blaming you specifically for most of the trash in the Slabs: http://slabcity.org/dumping.asp
I personally think that entire page is pants-pissingly funny as fuck.

**Edit**
Oh, and he posted yours and Charlie Vollrath's email account. Not sure if old news. Still felt like you should know about your email being given out.

skitter

Reaction score
Wow.

Does the FBI have agents to spare answering phone calls and nasty emails about hurt feelings?

The level of detail and rage in that call-out is... disturbingly hilarious. Guess it is easier to post myspace (myspace??!) photos and call someone a dirty hippie than to focus on the unwanted celebrity garnered by being front page LA Times news.

Was anyone else there for Open Mic Night at the Apocalypse in early 2012 when every single deputy in Imperial County formed a wall of cruisers and forbid anyone from playing music? I mean it has been a few years since I went there but chartering buses for LA hipsters to come drink shitty beer and expensive liquor brings a lot more negative influence than random folk passing through. You shoulda seen the mountain of trash out past the range... Booze bottles and cans, discarded camping equipment, edible food. (I am pretty sure the producers of that venture bussed their trash out though so that is good... but not all tourists are as responsible.)

I know they're gone now but people like Angel and Scooter (Karma Kitchen) could have used a paypal button like that instead of some combative schlub posting flames on his website.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Wow.

Does the FBI have agents to spare answering phone calls and nasty emails about hurt feelings?

The level of detail and rage in that call-out is... disturbingly hilarious. Guess it is easier to post myspace (myspace??!) photos and call someone a dirty hippie than to focus on the unwanted celebrity garnered by being front page LA Times news.

Was anyone else there for Open Mic Night at the Apocalypse in early 2012 when every single deputy in Imperial County formed a wall of cruisers and forbid anyone from playing music? I mean it has been a few years since I went there but chartering buses for LA hipsters to come drink shitty beer and expensive liquor brings a lot more negative influence than random folk passing through. You shoulda seen the mountain of trash out past the range... Booze bottles and cans, discarded camping equipment, edible food. (I am pretty sure the producers of that venture bussed their trash out though so that is good... but not all tourists are as responsible.)

I know they're gone now but people like Angel and Scooter (Karma Kitchen) could have used a paypal button like that instead of some combative schlub posting flames on his website.

I was there for that. That was some fuck up shit. We snuck most of the bands over to East Jesus and had them play over there.

Last edited:

skitter

Reaction score
I was at east jesus that night too

We probably brushed elbows or somethin'. ;)

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i dunno how we didn't end up hanging out. funny how that happens sometimes.

skitter

Reaction score
were you there when manhattan murder mystery filmed the Range scenes for their music video?

I wonder when that dvd for the whole "thing" will be released.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i was probably somewhere around for it, but i've never seen anything of what came out of it.

skitter

Reaction score

I cant link it normally. Remove the spaces.

OH LAWD
(if it works? Doesnt want to load on my phone).

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I wonder if you emailed this thread to the "Anonymous" group, if they would shut this fucked down, haha

CrustyFuckinP

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
hi Matt!! Is this still a problem?? I tried to go to the website and just got a weird Linux message.
Anyway. Me and a friend were collaborating on the idea of setting up a home base for Womyn on The Road in the slabs. Anyway, right now, they're carrying the torch on actually making it happen, (Most likely catering towards mostly, if not exclusively LGBTQ) and I know that they're going to utilize the internet to take advantage of resources and crowdfunding to make it happen. I would hate for people wanting to help end up donating to the scammer instead!!!

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
hi Matt!! Is this still a problem?? I tried to go to the website and just got a weird Linux message.
Anyway. Me and a friend were collaborating on the idea of setting up a home base for Womyn on The Road in the slabs. Anyway, right now, they're carrying the torch on actually making it happen, (Most likely catering towards mostly, if not exclusively LGBTQ) and I know that they're going to utilize the internet to take advantage of resources and crowdfunding to make it happen. I would hate for people wanting to help end up donating to the scammer instead!!!

at this point i'm waiting to see. the guy took the slabcity.org website offline and put up that message just before october:

https://web.archive.org/web/20150815000000*/http://slabcity.org

so it's been like that for almost four months now. if i had to guess it's probably offline for good, but i'm going to keep tabs on it and let people know if it comes back.

Reactions: Cornelius Vango

AtlasTheHobo

Reaction score
I know this post is old, but I'm going to school to get a degree in information technology and I would be interested in buying the domain "www.slabcity.com" in order to give people a real website to go to in relation to Slab City and it's community members, if I could get a little support or feedback on the subject, I go ahead and get started on this and report back when it's completed.

T

thekaleisnotforyou

@AtlasTheHobo That would be great.. If you don't get it I've inquired about it as I'm working on a passion project for Slab City and it would be a great place to share it and help the community.

AtlasTheHobo

Reaction score
@AtlasTheHobo That would be great.. If you don't get it I've inquired about it as I'm working on a passion project for Slab City and it would be a great place to share it and help the community.

That website name that was mentioned was going to range in the thousands of dollars, I'm being told, but I have found a website that is called www.slab-city.com which could be cheaper (I don't see how a dash makes our breaks a website name price, but works for me) but, honestly it's going to take a while to get off of the ground on this one for me. I don't know what time frame you are working on but it would be awesome if maybe we could put our thoughts together on this. I'll be there in early may to observe and find out what the community wants to see on the webpage (blogs, news, chats, events, resources, etc.). I was also thinking along the lines of making part of the website community run and driven( like storyline articles, blogs, and chats). I'll be making the website while I'm there to get an idea of design, I just won't start publishing it until I can secure a domain name. I'm looking at two or three weeks there getting a feel for the place, and then about two to three months before the website is actually up due to financial reasons.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
whichever you think sounds best, just do a good job since most slab city websites don't last very long and therefore don't get much web presence.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads