recommendations, anyone?

mksnowboarder

Reaction score
Pi and The Machinist are some sick, crazy movies.

As for hoboing/train films, Emperor of the North and Sullivan's Travels are pretty much all I've seen, and found them both enjoyable for such old movies (70's and 40's respectively IIRC).

I'm too twacked to think of more, but I'll be back.

mike

lobotomy3yes

Reaction score
There is a documentary called "Unrepentant" on Google videos that I highly recommend.

As for movies in general, some of my faves are: In Bruge, Hurt Locker, Seven, Reservoir Dogs, Funny Games (WATCH THIS! Fucking crazy ass thriller), The Assassination of Jesse James, The Proposition, Fargo, Taxi Driver, Miller's Crossing, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, You Can't Be Neutral On A Moving Train (documentary about Howard Zinn), Teeth (woman with teeth in her vagina), American Beauty.

moe

Reaction score
i love movies. totally check these out. i parenthe-sized only basic keys of the movies or whatever as did others on the forum well here goes my list.

-quadrophenia (stupid funny mods)
-brothers of the head (conjoined strange twins)
-persepolis (iran chick)
-sid and nancy (sid and nancy)
-rock and roll swindle (awful sex pistols)
-female trouble (a john waters classic)
-la strada (a fellini classic)
-pineapple express (lovable pothead bff's on a mission!)
-the pianist (sad holocaust flick)
-pink flamingo (turd eating divine)
-amelie (shut up, beautiful woman)
-hedwig and the angry inch (beautiful {wo}man with an inch)
-ghost world (two totally lost teens, based on the great charles burns graphic novel)
-kids (kids in new york, directed by larry clark)
-natural born killers (for the love of woody harrelson)
-harold and maude (suicidal teen goes for the old lady)
-running with scissors (memoir of augusten burroughs)
-y tu mama tambien (two dude and a fine ass woman on the road);]
-cinema paradiso (totally sad, if ya want a good cry, kid growing up and becomes close to old dude)

PFAT

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
A couple off the top of my head...

Me and You and Everyone We Know- Really weird movie sort of without a plot but there are no social expectations and it's awesome.

Tank Girl- Duh.

The Chumscrubber- Shows hoe imperfect suburbia is.

Choke- About a nympho. Writtin by palgusdkfajsdg or the guy who wrote fight club.

Science of Sleep- Some guys dream world and reality are backwards... sort of. I love Gael Garcia Bernal... which brings me to

Motorcycle Diaries- About Che sort of.

Sunshine Cleaning- Sort of sad. Sisters need $ so they start cleaning up after murders.

bmb

Reaction score
i'm a movie fanatic, but i've read alot of the posts and so far people have listed some damn good movies, i'll add a little:

more recent:

-district 9
-the dark knight
-tropic thunder
-observe & report
-taken
-(the new) star trek
-zombieland

-the razor's edge(drama, starring bill murray,one of his best roles ever,base off a book)
-videodrome(classic horror flick from legendary director david cronenberg)
-the fly(1986,david cronenberg's classic remake)
-fist of the north star(bloody japanese anime from the 80's)
-ghost in the shell(sci-fi,japanese anime)
-memento(black & white,one of christopher nolan's best flicks)
-dead or alive(bloodiest horror movie ever made)
-let's go to jail(comedy)
-Hot Fuzz(same dudes that made Shaun of the Dead)
-Pathfinder(viking/indian movie)

shit,there's millions of good flicks,that's just a small,small precentage

tallhorseman

Reaction score
I'm a real fan of movies directed by Kevin Smith. Clerks, Clerks II, etc...Jay and Silent Bob...two thumbs up. Seven Pounds, with Will Smith, was a good, recent Drama. 50 First Dates is still my favorite RoCom. Skin Deep, with John Ritter, was hilarious, It's a classic, so I don't know if it can still be found. National Lampoons Van Wilder...nothing funnier than masturbating a bulldog. Get Smart...when 86 shot himself up with little crossbow darts I almost pissed myself. 300 is still my favorite action flick. Red Dragon, and Silence of the Lambs were great, but I always hoped the bad guy would win, somethink I would never tell a psychiatrist.

oldmanLee

Reaction score
well,three of my favorites are:
"Fried Green Tomatoes"(the secret's in the sauce,LOL!)
"Threads"(1985,don't watch it if you are depressed,you'll chew thru your own wrists)
"Blazing Saddles"(as a friend of mine said,and she happens to be black"They couldn't make that film now,and everybody loves it!")
But the film that has shaped so much of what goes on inside my head deserves special mention:"The Good,the Bad,and the Ugly".Tuco the Rat,my hero!And he did all his own stunts at the adge of 49!

CanoeTramp

Reaction score
Two favorite foreign films, House of Fools -Russian , A dark comedy about psychiatric patients and combatatants during the first Chechen war. The main character Zhanna a young schizophrenic woman who believes Brian Adams is her fiance. Mediterraneo - Italian, A small group of Italian marines end up stranded on a greek island for the duration of WWII .

Pickles

Reaction score
A Scanner Darkly, City of Lost Children, Full Metal Jacket, The Graduate, Billy Elliott, Rosemary's Baby, Lost in Translation, The Departed, The Prestige, Ed Wood, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Dear Frankie, Amelie, Delicatessen.

All interesting in my opinion.

Oh, and Vodka Lemon, an interesting Russian film.

JahDucky

Reaction score
Metalimania!

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Waterworld!! (love those post-apocolypse movies)

Party Monster (the road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom...haha)

Fear And Loathing in Las Vegas (both the Bill Murray and Johnny Depp versions)

Total Eclipse (dicaprio plays the young poet Arthur Rimbaud who travels around europe and reaks havoc in the literary circles of paris)
------
and OldManLee: I loved Fried Green Tomatoes.....i'll admit, i actually shed a tear at the end.

hardlyart

Reaction score
you should check out: buffalo 66 (which is my favorite movie), harold and maude, gummo, the lives of others, the battle of algiers, eraserhead, the double life of veronique, let the right one in, american pop, teeth, pink flamingo, nosferatu, sid and nancy, teen witch, killer clowns from outer space, and lars and the real girl.

JungleBoots

Reaction score
children of man

soooooooooooooooooo gooood

lol someone mentioned when harry met sally... (definately a personal favorite)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads